Cold weather kayaking gear

jasoncrd

I'll be off of uni until early August and I'm hoping to take my yak out a bit over my break.

I was just wandering if anyone has any tips on clothing that would be good for cold weather yaking. I usually wear a pair of skins and a tee but I am sure that won't be enough even if I go out on a warmish day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also has anyone had a chance to go out lately around the inner west?

Thanks, Jason.

hi Jason,

havn;t been out in the inner west, but have been fishing Narrabean Lakes a bit lately. Plenty of bream, tailor and flatties around. Launch at the boat ramp and head left. Near the first yellow bouy/marker there is a decent hole holding plenty of fish. I have been using the squidy wild prawn in bloodworm on a 1/16 or 1/8th jig head. The current is pretty strong in this section.

For clothes, i haven't got any fishing winter clothes specifically, but if you are looking for something light, wind and water proof. I would go with a golf jacket. I used to play golf and these were pretty good even in torrential rain was still dry - they usually come with pants as well.

Thanks mate it's good to hear that not much has slowed with the colder weather.

I'm just looking for something that doesn't hold absorb much water and is reasonably light but can provide a bit of warmth. I might try some thermals that I take snowboarding and light jacket like one you suggested.

Thanks.

I usually just wear board shorts because if you get something like trackys wet they become really cold and stay wet for ever usually I just wear a tee shirt then a jumper and then a spray/rain jacket made by rapala also when you get wet you dry much quicker than if you were wearing something woollen and it's also a lot lighter so if you fall out of the yak you able to get back in

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Consider a 3mm Spring suit (wet suit) Google it you will understand.

Cheap and wind doesn't get ya.

Used to fish the rocks with these in winter and add buoyancy, but should have a jacket any way.

Pain in the arse if you want a quick pee.

BUT WARM

JD

I usually just wear board shorts because if you get something like trackys wet they become really cold and stay wet for ever usually I just wear a tee shirt then a jumper and then a spray/rain jacket made by rapala also when you get wet you dry much quicker than if you were wearing something woollen and it's also a lot lighter so if you fall out of the yak you able to get back in

Cheers sydneyfisher12

That's exactly what I wear

Didn't want to write out the exact same thing for you to reed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. The spring suit definitely sounds like an awesome idea and something different to try. Hopefully if I have some warm attire I'll have no excuses this winter to get out and chase some fish.

Lightweight thermals for the legs I reckon (I use my skiing ones) gives that cold protection but won't weigh you down if you go in. Boardies over that and a spray jacket over the top half. Spring suit would be ideal though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.

Went out last thursday with a pair of full length leg skins and a thermal top. It was a reasonably warm day around 20C but I think as long as I stay paddling I'd be comfortable down to about 15-16C in that outfit. On the fishing side of things I only caught a baby snapper.

Consider a 3mm Spring suit (wet suit) Google it you will understand.

Cheap and wind doesn't get ya.

Used to fish the rocks with these in winter and add buoyancy, but should have a jacket any way.

Pain in the arse if you want a quick pee.

BUT WARM

JD

You can solve that Peeing problem by getting an Aqua Skin 2 piece, google Aqua Skins WT80 Top + Shorts

Edited by LungFai

Currently I wear shark skins long sleeve top & long pants with dive socks plus a raincoat if I still get cold but keeping dry will keep you a lot warmer.

If you can afford them Kokatat make some really good gear, particularly their pants with built in socks. These will be on my shopping list when I get away from study & back to full time work.

• 1 month later...

Do what some surgeons and racing drivers do. Go to the local pharmacy and get a couple of urine bags (catheter bags, as they're commonly known. And some uridomes.(they look like open ended condoms). The pharmicist can advise you how to "rig up". That should see you and your bladder good for the day! Also good practice for the "twilight years". hehe.

Do what some surgeons and racing drivers do. Go to the local pharmacy and get a couple of urine bags (catheter bags, as they're commonly known. And some uridomes.(they look like open ended condoms). The pharmicist can advise you how to "rig up". That should see you and your bladder good for the day! Also good practice for the "twilight years". hehe.

Smiling here nurse :)

We could start selling leg bags and uridomes as a piece of necessary fishing gear

I just did some research on it actually and there are companies in the USA that market them for hunters, fishermen and women, pilots etc

post-869-0-66961600-1409607492_thumb.jpg