Boat storage advice

JET01

Tossing up the idea of getting a new boat. Maybe a anglapro bandit 424 or 454.

I can get a anglapro bandit 424 in the garage but would really like the slightly bigger boat which would mean being about to fit a rear lounge in it to make it a more family friendly boat. This however, would mean outdoor storage.

I had a boat once upon a time. I had it covered with a tarp and had it parked on the street. Only had it for two years and bought it second hand so have no idea how it was REALLY stored before I owned it.

One thing I had to do was replace a few of the floor boards that rotted out. I'm thinking that a quality custom cover will help stop this from happening in the future. Thoughts? I'll get a canvas outboard cover too. As someone decided to help themselves to my cowling once too (replacement cost $1000)

Is there anyone out there that has stored an aluminium trailer boat both inside and outside? Did you notice a massive difference in how your trailer and boat aged?

I'm also not sure whether to get a painted boat either. Does paint do anything other than make it look nice? I'm not worried about the inside of the boat as it will be fully carpeted.

I can get a anglapro bandit 424 in the garage but would really like the slightly bigger boat which would mean being about to fit a rear lounge in it to make it a more family friendly boat. This however, would mean outdoor storage.

I had a boat once upon a time. I had it covered with a tarp and had it parked on the street. Only had it for two years and bought it second hand so have no idea how it was REALLY stored before I owned it.

One thing I had to do was replace a few of the floor boards that rotted out. I'm thinking that a quality custom cover will help stop this from happening in the future. Thoughts? I'll get a canvas outboard cover too. As someone decided to help themselves to my cowling once too (replacement cost $1000)

Is there anyone out there that has stored an aluminium trailer boat both inside and outside? Did you notice a massive difference in how your trailer and boat aged?I had a unpainted aluminium boat stored in the yard years ago.

My unpainted aluminium boat now is stored in my garage.

The key to prolonging the life of the boat/trailer stored outdoors in my opinion is, keeping the boat clean/maintained and parked on concrete.

Only cover when boat is completely dry after washing, keep it off dirt/grass.

Storing indoors is a clear winner if possible for security reasons.

Mine has all my gear in it to go out at a moments notice.

These two photos are my trailer and boat that I bought in march 2011 and are both like new due to garaging and maintenance with my secret ingredients.

Cheers.

tedeju7u.jpge7uqeges.jpg

I'm also not sure whether to get a painted boat either. Does paint do anything other than make it look nice? It helps reduce glare/heat especially when the insides and bow are painted.

When the outsides are painted it invites scratches/paint issues when not cared for and will help with emptying of your wallet.

I'm not worried about the inside of the boat as it will be fully carpeted.

Normally only the floors are carpeted and not the sides, i could be wrong.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

As Fab 1 says ,

" The key to prolonging the life of the boat/trailer stored outdoors in my opinion is, keeping the boat clean/maintained and parked on concrete.Only cover when boat is completely dry after washing, keep it off dirt/grass.Storing indoors is a clear winner if possible for security reasons."

If covers are placed on the boat prior to it being completly dry then it is unlikely the boat will dry out & with the change in temp between night & day sweting can occur which can cause mould & moisture on the electrics which is not good.

The swing away or removable draw bar should be considered so the boat can be stored under cover without the need of a tarp.

A guy I knew some time ago cut a small slot down low in the middle of his garage door for the draw bar to protude. Something to thing about.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Is there anyone out there that has stored an aluminium trailer boat both inside and outside? Did you notice a massive difference in how your trailer and boat aged?

I'm also not sure whether to get a painted boat either. Does paint do anything other than make it look nice? I'm not worried about the inside of the boat as it will be fully carpeted.

If you store it outside, will it be in your yard where it is secured with a fence or something, or on the street? If it's somewhat secure get the bigger boat. You won't regret getting the better boat that's for sure.

I've never thought about this because my boat is always stored in my garage, but the guys that store their boats on the street sure have things difficult. The gear you need to remove and replace each time would put me off owning a boat. Especially if you have expensive gear like batteries, sounders, gps, minn kota etc.

I prefer a painted boat as unpainted kinda looks a bit unfinished to me. Just personal preference.

Fab your rig still looks like you picked it up yesterday. Well taken care of....

If you store it outside, will it be in your yard where it is secured with a fence or something, or on the street? If it's somewhat secure get the bigger boat. You won't regret getting the better boat that's for sure.

I've never thought about this because my boat is always stored in my garage, but the guys that store their boats on the street sure have things difficult. The gear you need to remove and replace each time would put me off owning a boat. Especially if you have expensive gear like batteries, sounders, gps, minn kota etc.

I'd always be sleeping with one eye open if I had mine out on the street.

I prefer a painted boat as unpainted kinda looks a bit unfinished to me. Just personal preference.

Totally Agree, painted looks great when done properly.

Bare aluminium can look as you say unfinished/industrial, they're not for everyone.

Fab your rig still looks like you picked it up yesterday. Well taken care of....Thanks, everyones boat can look like that with a little care/maintenance.

But judging by the boats i see when out and about, some people tend to neglect their boats a little.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I know your question is based on protecting an aluminum boat - my personal experience has only been with fibreglass boats but I think a lot of experience in this area translates between the two. Also my boat is too big for a garage, from memory the last I checked my rocket launchers were >3.5m off the ground level - hence it has always been outside. The key to slowing the aging process I believe comes down to:

1. Keep it clean - good washdown with low pressure water that lets the salt dissolve away (rather then high pressure which forces it into the gaps and crevices). Installed a 5000L rainwater tank.... tick !

2. Keep it dry - pooled fresh water is death to carpet, plywood and many other materials. It helps rot stitching on canopies and seats etc. Let the boat dry out before storage - and as others have said store it on concrete or paving not on the damp grass...Tick!

3. Protect it from exposure to the elements - the Aussie sun and UV will literally fry materials - paint, gelcoat, vinyl, perspex etc etc Keep it polished (also applies to painted surfaces) and keep it covered....Tick Tick!

I have always invested in a custom made tight fitting quality acrylic marine canvas cover. (Tight fitting helps stop chaffing and tears from wind blowing your cover, it's also an additional deterent to nosy kids and scumbags who want to rummage though your boat). I've had my rig for over 18years and just had my 3rd cover made in March this year. So thats two covers in 18yrs with a typical lifespan of about 9yrs. My boat is over 6.3m and the cost for the covers has been $1400 - 2000 (smaller boats would be less). I consider it a cheap investment to protect my pride and joy for nearly a decade. Way cheaper and more portable than any carport.

BTW, when hail did damage the cover - it was covered by my boat insurance policy as it was a custom made cover - which was a nice surprise!

BTW2, The last cover deteriorated on top (mainly where it drags across the sharper exposed fittings) so even after 9yrs, the side skirts of the cover were in great shape. I have trimmed them off and now that I have a good relationship with a local trimmer will have them stitched up as a tough tarp for my box trailer, a boot liner for my 4WD, lure and tool satchels - all for minimum cost .... The good marine canvas may appear to be expensive but it is tough as - reuse and recycle !

Anyway thats my 2c worth.

Thanks for giving me some insight into your experience with boat storage.

I've definitely thought about the swing away drawer bar. One of the boys in shop mentioned them as an option. I reckon it could do the trick.

Man I live in a unit in Cronulla, building a bigger shed is not an option.

I had a chat with a dealer and getting a rear lounge in the back of a bandit 424 doesn't sound like it's going to work. Night have to chance my arm with outdoor storage and the 454.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Hi- I have an 6.1 trailcraft and believe me the sun is a real killer if you don't use a quality cover. Every two to three years I'm up for new clears, carpet, seat covers. It also degrades any hard mounted electrics. As for paint again if you don't use a quality cover along with the obvious fading the likely hood of electrolysis increases as the boat tends to stay damp and all you need is a liitle salt,a little water ...........