Blackwattle Bay - Fishing with Braid (1st time)

So I decided to put away the $10 toy rod and Reel (It's done me so well I plan on doing a youtube series with only toy fishing reels around Sydney), and re-rig my Shakespeare Ugly Stik Balance with 20lb kingcast braid to swivel and then Mono leader.

I don't think I'm gonna go back to full mono anytime soon - apart from the whizzing sound of the braid in a fight, the line is amazing :D

post-39189-0-06176700-1468215244_thumb.jpg

post-39189-0-88579900-1468215249_thumb.jpg

Well done mate! The whizzing sound is what most of us fishos get out of bed for. Love that sound! Nice tailor there!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks scratchie :) I did a bit of reading / asking around about braid colours; from what I'm told, Red and pink is the most low viz. Is this true or should it not really matter if I'm using a clear leader?

Cheers

Tim

Thanks scratchie :) I did a bit of reading / asking around about braid colours; from what I'm told, Red and pink is the most low viz. Is this true or should it not really matter if I'm using a clear leader?

Cheers

Tim

The color of the braid is irrelevant IMO. Red is the first colour of the spectrum that disappears under water.

It's more about matching the right lb braid, with the right lb leader!

Solid stuff. I've fished mono all my life but I'm looking to get into the bream scene a bit more (Oh dear haha! :15: ) Should be gearing up soon, will be nice to try braid after all I've heard about it. Nice fish too, I like Blackwattle Bay if I feel like I need a fish as it's so close for me.

Solid stuff. I've fished mono all my life but I'm looking to get into the bream scene a bit more (Oh dear haha! :15: ) Should be gearing up soon, will be nice to try braid after all I've heard about it. Nice fish too, I like Blackwattle Bay if I feel like I need a fish as it's so close for me.

apart from the nonsensical number of dog owners at the park, its a really nice place. I take a few beers, put in my headphones and sit on the water :)

The braid I used was King cast 20lb, which was admittedly overkill, but decent priced and i like the line diameter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252051355352?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=550908815898&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by DrChicken

It is a good price, I would drop the lb down. Get some floru carbon leader and tie it directly to the braid. You will feel way more bites. You fishing lures or bait

Bait recently, though I want to try with just SPs for my next outing.... I'll aim for lighter lb for this next spool I'm ordering :) 15lb you reckon or lighter?

Bait recently, though I want to try with just SPs for my next outing.... I'll aim for lighter lb for this next spool I'm ordering :) 15lb you reckon or lighter?

go lighter, 8lb is a good all round line, my main rod is spooled with 8 lb braid and 8lb fluorocarbon leader, I've caught everything from trout, bream and bass, to kingfish and flatties on 8lb