Thoughts on Scent?

Ivo

Hi all,

I've recently begun to fish regularly and have been using soft plastics due to their convinience. Have been fairly successful and am happy with my progress as I learn. However one question I have is whether scent is worth it. I see it around and it seems to get a fairly good wrap, however for a fisho on a budget it's just another thing I have to get (already looking to upgrade my reel and give my soft plastc collection a nice boost). Is it worth it? Has anyone made their own? I'm mainly trgetting bream by the way.

If I'm not using gulps then I use it on plastics all the time.

In dirty water, or when the fish are shut down it makes a big difference.

Aniseed, garlic or S factor are my faves.

There's a reason why all the top ABT bream & bass anglers use it all the time.

It helps catch fish & that's why those guys are at the top of the tree.

Cheers,

Grant.

Get the squidgy pro range they come with a lip gloss size stick of sfactor in every pack. But you can use them on different brands. Unsure of their affectiveness. But squeeze a bit on when I'm not getting any bites and don't know if it's persistants or not but will eventually get something.

I only use s factor and gotta say it certainly makes a difference. I don't bother with it on hardbodies or gulps but if I don't have it with me I don't feel confident in using other scentless plastics.

Just my experience, but...

I fish the Cooks a lot. In the months leading up to my holiday in Scotland in May/June, I fished SPs with S-Factor and regularly caught flathead, bream, trevally, whiting, tailor and the odd surprise. The week before I went to Scotland I ran out of S-Factor and since I got back I've been fishing the same stretch 3 times with no scent for 1 doughnut and 3 flathead. Of course, it could just be that the system is slowing down in the winter months and I haven't been able to get down on a decent tide, but generally I'd say scent (at least for bream) can make a difference. I've also noticed in the eastern suburbs that a scented lure will regularly get ripped to shreds by leather jackets or tailor, but an un-scented lure will flutter down past them untouched. It's definitely an attractant to some species, but not always the ones you're targeting.

My experience is that at least for bream it has made a massive difference to my bite rate. I have only used s-factor as I like the size of the tube etc. Some friends use pro-cure and swear by it. Coupled with light leaders of 4lb and down, It has totally changed my lure fishing for bream.

Matt

My experience is that at least for bream it has made a massive difference to my bite rate. I have only used s-factor as I like the size of the tube etc. Some friends use pro-cure and swear by it. Coupled with light leaders of 4lb and down, It has totally changed my lure fishing for bream.

Matt

Matt, did you mean SP, Hard Bodies or both?

Cheers for the opinions guys. Might have a look into getting some. Guess it can't be that bad to just try it haha. Probably will go S factor as I fish squidgies mainyl and trust the brand. But have head good htings from lots of other companies too. I guess it's one of those thngs that you have to try. I mean how much of the stuff you see in videos is just marketing?

If I caught yesterday 5 fish and today nothing with the same bait or lure - it's not marketing, it is reality. The scents will not guarantee you the catch , they may increase your chances. If you don't want to buy expensive scents - you can always experiment with your own - there is a plenty of recipes on AU fishing forums.

I was quite sceptical about them enough to keep s factor tube in my tackle bag for 2 years untouched.

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Cheers for the opinions guys. Might have a look into getting some. Guess it can't be that bad to just try it haha. Probably will go S factor as I fish squidgies mainyl and trust the brand. But have head good htings from lots of other companies too. I guess it's one of those thngs that you have to try. I mean how much of the stuff you see in videos is just marketing?

well you better stock up then as shimano are dropping starlo & bushy from squidgies in september but not sure they will drop the lure as well

but i wouldn't get caught with ya pants down if they do .

I read somewhere that a trout fisher was using the insects under rocks, crushing them in his fingers and rubbing the nymph fly with the juice and catching fish when others couldn't. So being a believer of aniseed essence on lures and in burley I thought another method may work on freshwater fish so I purchased a fly trap and caught heaps of flies. I kept them in the fish freezer until I had about half a bucketfull and crushed and screened them, I have not tried them yet as the weather has not been great the only downside is the smell when crushing and screening. The fly powder you put in the trap is bad enough but when you add dead flies, boy is she bad. I thought if it does not work I could always tip some in some arseholes car who takes up a disabled car space illegally.

That reminds me an article in Men's Health:"Avocado is so good for your body, let's buy avocado tablets". Why not avocado fruit?!

I fished freshwater small rivers with unweighted flies/other insects for 10 years in the past. Why do I have to fish with artificial fly with real scent if I have already a real fly (unless it is prohibited in some waters)?

I tried aniseed essence with not much luck , however I keep it in my fishing tackle boxes as it keeps the fishy smell away.

That reminds me an article in Men's Health:"Avocado is so good for your body, let's buy avocado tablets". Why not avocado fruit?!

I fished freshwater small rivers with unweighted flies/other insects for 10 years in the past. Why do I have to fish with artificial fly with real scent if I have already a real fly (unless it is prohibited in some waters)?

I tried aniseed essence with not much luck , however I keep it in my fishing tackle boxes as it keeps the fishy smell away.

It's in the art of fooling a fish with an artificial offering instead of bait.

Mixing real fly pieces with artificial fly is not actually a pure art of artificial fly fishing. So if you play" dirty" ( using real fly pieces) why not just use the whole real fly considering the listed efforts / extra time for the above ( crushing, screening, bad smell etc.)

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...