Big Arvo on SP's

G'day raidars

After taking the day off school for representative football and knocking off early I persuaded my dad to take me out fishing (as usual).

We hit our spot at the steps at fame cove but we didn't manage a fish ! But we did spot the long tail busting up as we did not bother to chase as having the wrong gear :( . We changed tactics and headed to the beach off soldiers point jetty. The first drift was not that successful with the wind blowing so we decided to head off to Wanda headland and hope to be a bit more protected.

We got there with a beautiful drift and new we had a big chance of a flatty! Out casts the first line and bang ! Dads on pulling up a nice 38cm flatty. Then dad proceeded to pull up flatty after flatty, with seven flatty caught.

post-33875-0-67957700-1399884353_thumb.jpg

With several flatty caught I start to get into the action bang!! With beautiful netting skills and beautiful winding in up comes a 57cm flatty :)

post-33875-0-50613800-1399884750_thumb.jpg

As the sun started to die down the bites dropped off so it it was time to pack up and head home.

On the way home we ran into fellow raider berleyguts and suggested a few places to try, hope he did well.

When we got home we divided up the flathead that we caught with some going to my mate that come with us and didn't catch any, our next door neighbor and some for us. :)

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie_juniorpost-24974-0-55249900-1399885953_thumb.jpg

Great report, Scratchie Jnr! We got out so late and only fished for half an hour or so after we saw you as it was getting dark and I am new to the Soldiers Point ramp (it could do with more lights) and that part of Port. Backing the boat into the tiny space at the beach cottage we are renting turned out to be a little tricky in the dark, too! We will be back out tomorrow morning for a serious crack at them... and I will have some gear ready for the long tail! :)

Thanks to Dad for the tips, too! You had some cracker fish there, young man!

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Great report, Scratchie Jnr! We got out so late and only fished for half an hour or so after we saw you as it was getting dark and I am new to the Soldiers Point ramp (it could do with more lights) and that part of Port. Backing the boat into the tiny space at the beach cottage we are renting turned out to be a little tricky in the dark, too! We will be back out tomorrow morning for a serious crack at them... and I will have some gear ready for the long tail! :)

Thanks to Dad for the tips, too! You had some cracker fish there, young man!

Cheers,

Baz

Yer tell me how you go ! :)

• 3 months later...

Well done!

Great to see a young fella getting amongst them!

I'm taking my 3.5yo Son Rex and a couple of friends to Soldiers Point in late Sept for a boys fishing weekend, hopefully there are a few around then.

We will be staying near the jetty which is just down from the Soldiers Point Marina, has anyone fished off the jetty or had any luck around that area?

Once again great work with the flatties :)

Well done!

Great to see a young fella getting amongst them!

I'm taking my 3.5yo Son Rex and a couple of friends to Soldiers Point in late Sept for a boys fishing weekend, hopefully there are a few around then.

We will be staying near the jetty which is just down from the Soldiers Point Marina, has anyone fished off the jetty or had any luck around that area?

Once again great work with the flatties :)

There's always something to catch off the jetty but sometimes there's not a lot of room to cast with so many people. Great spot though to take a youngster. And don't be afraid to fish a few of the beaches around that area at high tide. Especially with SP's for flatty!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie!

I was talking to a friend today who said that particular jetty can only be accessed off the end with a key as it's privately operated, that's a shame as it was a big selling point in booking the accommodation next to it.

I guess wading out a bit could be an option with the soft plastics, looks quite shallow in pictures.

We will have fun up there I'm sure!

In Newcastle I regularly catch beach worms from Nobby's beach (lighthouse end 2 hours either side of low), are you aware of any beaches such as Birubi that hold any? They are my bait of choice and as I adhere to the 20 worms (or part there of) restriction, driving back to Nobby's for 20 worms isn't how I pictured my weekend away.

Thanks again for the info Scratchie, much appreciated as I know you're quite busy on here!

Cheers, James.