$350 for a new tinny worth it?

gianniz

Hi

I don't know where to ask if this is a good buy?

Owner said it's virtually new aluminium and it looks new (roughly car length)

I have no idea if it's a good value as it doesn't come with trailer or motor.

What do the raiders think?

Also if it is a good value, I'm guessing I need a trailer and a motor. If so roughly how much will it cost me?

PS anyone used 350z for trailer?

Thanks guys hopefully if everything falls in line, I'll be a boat owner :) yeah!!!

Mark

Edited by gianniz

If you can buy a new 3.5M (about the size of a car) for $350 and it floats and does not crack the first time you use it, then yes a great buy, but as the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. A trailer is around $1,000 and a new outboard starts at about $750 depending on HP.

If it floats and does not leak then I would offer a couple of hundred, but I have seen this all the time, some people's ideas of near new are widely different to mine and as I said in life things are never as they seem. We have a good little Quintrex 3.55M Dart with 15HP Yammy for $2,500 so if in budget a much better boat than that one.

If that is some sort of bituminous paint on the bottom and it appears (from the pic of the boats bottom) to line up with the position of the thwart seats, then I would be having a good look to understand why that treatment has been necessary.

Cheers Blood Knot

It's not worth the effort. I've done it before and you don't save much if anything.

By the time you get a trailer, decent outboard, boat code, rego etc you will be up to the $2500 mark and heaps of effort.

If that's your budget and what you are after just go see huie and grab the tinny he has for that price.

You would be fishing this weekend then!

If it floats and does not leak then I would offer a couple of hundred, but I have seen this all the time, some people's ideas of near new are widely different to mine and as I said in life things are never as they seem. We have a good little Quintrex 3.55M Dart with 15HP Yammy for $2,500 so if in budget a much better boat than that one.

My bet is at some point those rivets have leaked in the past.

Riveted hulls are notorious for leaking with age and use.

That said anything can be repaired with a fair wad of cash,knowledge and time.

Ultimately only you can decide if it is worth the time and expense.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Guest no one

New?!? Looks like its older than me looking at the paint. Better deal if you go through a boat brokers.. then you get the motor and trailer ready for you!

If that is some sort of bituminous paint on the bottom and it appears (from the pic of the boats bottom) to line up with the position of the thwart seats, then I would be having a good look to understand why that treatment has been necessary.

Cheers Blood Knot

The thwart seats should not be riveted to the bottom. They are normally suspended from brackets on the side of the boat. Nice looking little unit in terms of design etc. Would have given a lot to have owned a little boat like that when I was a Lad.

Agree that the black patches look a bit sus, check them out and tell us what they are hiding..

Then again, if you have the brass Hueys boat would seem to be a good alternative.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

two hundred buck tinny :biggrinthumb: buy a $300 5hp second hand engine just toss the boat on a box trailer and your sailing the ocean, well not literally but it would get u on the water for $500

as for the leak just use a cup or small bucket to bail the water every hour or two, old tinnies like this usually only leak a little unless its hit sand banks and crap

if u have the moolah go see huey as everyone else has mentioned im sure it would be in much better condition and last a lot longer and have a trailer :biggrinthumb: