HELP-Trout Hooks

Hi Sydneyfisher12, the tiniest circle hook you can find is the ideal hook for powerbait. I use a 4lbs braid mainline to a small swivel with a pea size sinker running on the mainline above the swivel. To the swivel I tie around 2ft of 4lbs mono leader as mono assists the powerbait to float for longer as opposed to flourocarbon leaders which sink. Tie a small light gauge circle hook on the end of the leader and lightly press the hook into the side of the powerbait nugget. Dont do what most do and totally conceal the circle hook in the bait as it will be very difficult to secure a good hookup with the hook buried deep in the bait, just press lightly into the side, it will easily stay attached to the hook if you are not casting world record distances, just lob it out with a gentle action and leave a little belly of line to allow the fish to pickup the bait without feeling any resistance.I leave my rods in holders , in gear ,with a very light drag setting and let the circle hook do its thing. good luck cheers troutboy

I get "G" series Black Magic hooks sometimes for fly tying.

They are a wide gape hook, very suitable for worms/powerbait.

You can pick them for a box of 30 for under $10.

Good hooks IMO.

I would go a size 10-14 depending on the size of worm/powerbait.

Size 12 would be a good happy medium.

No need to go crazy big.

Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Go for a circle hook the trout will hook itself and you will have less risk of gut hooking a fish, this will help if you get a kelt (a fish recovering from spawning, usually very slabby concave stomach and skinny poor eating IMO letthem go) also helps if you hook an undersize fish