Prawning?

jimmycash

I am only new to fishing but i love it every time i go out. I am from windsor and have done most of my fishing down the hawksbury. Lured a few bass, and even caught a big flathead under windsor bridge. Been out to brooklyn and caught heaps of jewies all under size though. Most of my catches have been through luck not skill. I was wondering what was the best time to go prawning and some places to go. Me and my brother in law were hoping to go tomorow night but real don't have much of a clue. :1fishing1::1fishing1:

The dark of the moon is now upon us, the prawns should be running. Try The Entrance/Tuggerah Lakes or Long Jetty on the Central Coast or on the South Coast try Lake Illawarra at Windang. There is a favourable high tide in the evenings and prawns should run on the run-out tide. Carry that fishing licence and there are bag limits on prawns. Don't forget to keep a few live ones for the whiting and flatheads. Good luck fellas!

P.S. Wear waders or sandshoes in case of encountering a fortescue (see pic of the nasty thing)

post-869-1135851333_thumb.jpg

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

EVIL, EVIL, EVIL fish!!!!

Dont even try to get the buggers out of the net without pliers.......... its just not worth it!!!!!

I prefer to deal with the occys........ blue rings included!!!!

MY GOODNESS!!!!

I don't mean to offend but I reckon all these "HOT TIPS" are nothing but bum steers. Get down to your local Costi's and ask for 1kg of medium tigers-cost = between $19 and $25. It'll take you about 5 minutes and you won't need any fancy gear.

Those overseas prawns are not a patch on those beautiful fresh prawns you can catch yourself. The fun of prawning with mates on a hot summer's night is a whole heap better than fighting the crowds at the fish markets. When the prawns come in from Windang they are over $40 a kilo and the sweetest on the coast.

Enjoy your prawning jimmy, we may even have a lash this week ourselves. Yummyyyy :thumbup:

P.S. I have heard that the fish are on at Da Costi's as well (a hot tip), they take a nice picture once the paper is removed :074::074::074::074:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Thanks heaps for all the info it realy is a big help. I had some De Costi's import specials :thumbdown: over x-mass, i should of saved my $25 and spent it on beer :beersmile: . Hope fully will try for a few whiting whiel i am out. The picture of the fortescue does not look to inviting but i am sure my dunlope vollys are up to the challenge. Thanks to everyone that replied even the De Costi's marketing manager :biggrin2: . Hope you all have a great new years and if all works to plan i will have some pics to post when i get back from Windang. :thumbup::thumbup:

so how do you actually go prawning

Hi Matty, you will need a powerfull light ,a dolphin torch or one of the very good under water lights which hooks up to a 12 volt battery a pair of waders preferably or at least sand shoes and a prawn net with a long handle in aluminium which is light to handle whilst scooping and a container strapped onto small boogie board with occy straps to put your prawns in when the net gets to heavy to handle "hopefully".The boards with the leg ropes are great so you can tie the whole lot to your waist and it will follow you wherever you walk. The idea is to wait untill its dark on a run-out tide and walk into the water where there is a little bit of current ,doesnt need to be more than a meter deep .Head into the current and shine your light forward to see the prawns and as they swim toward you and scoop them up .It takes a bit of practice to get the prawns that jump away from the light :074: but thats part of the fun!!! When the prawns start to run out to sea it can be a hectic few hours but the end reward is a very nice feed of fresh prawns :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Guest bluecod

sounds like ur kinda makin urself sharkbait tho by doingit

Generally plenty of other prawners in the water at the same time so the sharkies can take their pick - besides you can't live forever :tease:

Those overseas prawns are not a patch on those beautiful fresh prawns you can catch yourself. The fun of prawning with mates on a hot summer's night is a whole heap better than fighting the crowds at the fish markets. When the prawns come in from Windang they are over $40 a kilo and the sweetest on the coast.

Enjoy your prawning jimmy, we may even have a lash this week ourselves. Yummyyyy :thumbup:

P.S. I have heard that the fish are on at Da Costi's as well (a hot tip), they take a nice picture once the paper is removed :074::074::074::074:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I agree if you knew what they sprayed on them you eouldnt eat them, If you didn;t know they spray "Formulin" also known as Formeldahyde (Which is an embalming fluid that makes you look "Alive" as possible when your dead"

Also prawns that are bought from Dicosti's AKA Chew and Spew taste like your chewing the bottom of a dunlop volley. :1prop:

I love this s*it. :074:

Hey jimmycash i might come down to Windang and if you do get taken by a big bitey Ill place a post in your honour just so the boy's know how ya went. Good luck with the prawnin and make sure you let us know how ya go. I wanna take my boy's down to have a go.

With the Dicosti debate I think that what is being bantered about is correct ya dont know what ya gettin over the counter and when I asked if my prawns were local or imported at the local seafood store at Campbelltown Mall the bird looked at me and said,

their local they get them from the Sydney markets? :074::074:

What hope have ya got. Fresh is best and if ya can get em yaself go for it. We should consider ourselves lucky that we even have the opportunity to, if we choose, get off our arse and get them. God forbid we may miss one of those F***d up TV programs we feel compelled to watch ever nite.

Happy :1fishing1: and prawnin Russ