Smoking on a gas fired Webber

Paikea

Has anyone smoked fish and oysters in a gas fired Webber? If so how is it done?

I love my Webber but am frustrated at the lack of any good books giving details of the best way to use it. Anyone know of any books?

Cheers

Paikea

G/day Paikea

I bought the Webber gas lookalike from BBQs Galore and it can be used for smoking, they sell the flavoured wood chips and holder

for the gas type webbers and probably have a instruction/cook book for sale as well, hope this is of some help

regards bloodshot.

Thanks Bloodshot and Oneman. I have read various articles on smoking and done quite a bit in my small smoker but I don't know where to put the woodchips in the Webber. Obviously above the burners but how? Does it need some sort of wire screen to put them on if so where can I get that. it would have to be fairly solid to withstand the heat for any time so chicken wire is out. Will a thin SS plate do the job or will that stop the heat too much?

Cheers

Paikea

That's what I was meaning when they have a separate attachment for the gas ones... So you have somewhere to put the woodchips.

In my non gas webber I just soak the woodchips in water then put them straight on the charcoals, I'm not sure if it rights but it works for me.

Maybe try a little wire basket or something and put them straight on hot plate?

You can buy a stainless smoker box that sits on or near the burner. Load it up with wood chips and bobs your uncle.

The bbq shops sell wood chunks and chips from timbers like hickory and a couple of aromatic things.

An easy and cheap one is Banksia cones. You can pick them up off the ground and they work great.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dave, I will try that. I assume that Bar B Q's Galore would sell the SS boxes?

Cheers

Paiea

Or try Barbeque Factory down on Parraweena Road (there is also a cast iron box), just behind the RoadTechMarine place. I use a Hark smoker for fish, bacon and hams but also use a webber charcoal with wood chunks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jocler, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Been away down the coast for a couple of weeks.

Yes I would love to have the CI box. If you can PM your Phone No I will call re picking it up from Kurnell. (I often drive out after I have a coffee in Cronulla in the morning to have a look at the ocean from the Whale watching station in the Park. Great view, follow that with a run out to the new ramp to see how many boats are out.

Its good being semi retired.

Thanks heaps.

Cheers

Paikea