Surf Rods

fisho.sid

Dear Fishos,

Keen to start on another type of fishing, that is the Surf / Beach fishing.

Though I must admit, sand in reels and cold water meeting you at knee height is inevitable and given that winter is approaching is something that have turned me off beach fishing for a while. Brrrrrrrr but man up they say!

However last fishing trip was had by the beach and my 11ft was out gun by my mates 16ft, coupled with big surfs I was put off by it and didn't even wet the line. Though my mind ponders when I see my mate rig up, big slabs of slimy and yellow tail and the alluring talks of big jews had me thinking. This was enough for me to get researching.

So after spending a good 4 hrs browsing for an affordable <= $200 mark I was left with the Penn Prevail.

Firstly have you guys heard much about these rods? The web for once haven't provided much insight to this as well. Apart from this are there any other suggestions from fellow fish raiders with beach fishing experience.

As said, I would like to catch big ( who doesn't right) but something versatile is always appreciated but that said, big fish setup is probably going to set you up for that and therefore the target of whiting / bream / flathead is probably an overkill on a 14ft rod paired with 14000 reel.

All advice welcome.

Thanks for reading

Tight lines

Dear Fishos,

Keen to start on another type of fishing, that is the Surf / Beach fishing.

Though I must admit, sand in reels and cold water meeting you at knee height is inevitable and given that winter is approaching is something that have turned me off beach fishing for a while. Brrrrrrrr but man up they say! A pair of waders solves that problem

However last fishing trip was had by the beach and my 11ft was out gun by my mates 16ft, coupled with big surfs I was put off by it and didn't even wet the line. Though my mind ponders when I see my mate rig up, big slabs of slimy and yellow tail and the alluring talks of big jews had me thinking. This was enough for me to get researching. Maybe your mates compensating for something :P .. Longer rods make it harder to handle and land big fish

So after spending a good 4 hrs browsing for an affordable <= $200 mark I was left with the Penn Prevail.

Firstly have you guys heard much about these rods? The web for once haven't provided much insight to this as well. Apart from this are there any other suggestions from fellow fish raiders with beach fishing experience. Sent you a PM

As said, I would like to catch big ( who doesn't right) but something versatile is always appreciated but that said, big fish setup is probably going to set you up for that and therefore the target of whiting / bream / flathead is probably an overkill on a 14ft rod paired with 14000 reel. ummm yeah just a bit

All advice welcome.

Thanks for reading

Tight lines

If your looking at casting big baits and big weights in big surf I'd be looking at a glass or glass composite rod. They're stiffer and handle the bigger baits and weights better. Quick comparison, may mate has a 16' Prevail, and he does know how to cast, but with a 8oz sinker and a mullet fillet he's struggling to get it out much more than 50m. The same rig on a 12'6" FSU MT 8144 he'll put it out 80 to 100m. It's all in the action of the rod.

Nothing wrong with an 11' rod. I have a FSU MT4120 set up with an Abu7000 which is great for chasing Jewies when the winds not blowing that hard. I also use two Silaflex 8W's with Abu 6500's running 12lb line which are great fun chasing tailor and salmon., but can also be used for bream, whiting and flathead.

You could look at the Pfluger Crank rods. They are even cheaper than the Penn Prevails. I'd be

looking at the 12 ft models. A long rod is not only helpful for casting distance but helps hold your line

over the shore break.

Tagging onto this thread if I may. I am looking for a surf/rock setup at the moment. My main limitation is I have to be able to transport it in the car, as I lack roof racks and I don't trust any of those suction devices which seem to be the only option now days for car attachment. Hence I was looking for something like a 10ft 2 piece rod that can break down and go in the car easily. I would like to gear up so I can maybe have a crack at jewies down the track.

I have been steered to an on sale combo thats going for what seems a decent price ($140) based on what I can find the individual parts elsewhere:

Fin Nor Biscayne 60 reel

Rovex Air Surf Prime 10ft 6-15Kg graphite rod

I have been warned about the graphite being susceptible to damage from hitting rocks, improper use etc. How much of an issue is this?

Can anyone comment on the above kit? I am not looking to go too high end, but I don't want to buy rubbish either and as above would like to target kings and jewfish when I can get a chance.

Can you suggest some brands or models to look at? The original one I had in mind was the ugly stik gold surf - either 10' or 12'. So a 2-piece in that $100-$150 range. The Rovex combo above was quite a good offer with the reel (which seems to have great reviews) which is why I was looking at that particular rod, but can't find any specific reviews or opinions on the rod itself other than some marketing spank talk.

Still weighing it all up (such a long wait for payday) but at the moment leaning towards a Pflueger Salt S70 reel on a 10ft Ugly stick gold. I might go 12ft seeing as I think even the 10ft might be too big for the boot and need to ride in the front anyway.

I've used graphite rods off the rocks for not far off 2 decades and never had one fail. They're not as delicate as people would have you believe. If you don't throw them around the rocks and abuse them they'll work fine for years. A few light scratches or scuffs won't affect their performance or strength, but deep gouges will. The main problem I've seen that people have is breaking the tip by high sticking the rod. Don't do that, don't throw it about and you'll have a rod that performs better than any other material and is far more comfortable to use all day. Graphite is a far superior rod material and well worth a little TLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made my choice.

Shimano Aerowave Graphite 1203 - got it specifically because it was a 3pc and that means I am far more likely to be able to take it with me when we go away somewhere. A 2pc anything just was not going to be practical unless I was by myself and could transport it in the car cabin, and a lot of my fishing will be when I take the kids away somewhere so it needs to be able to go in the car boot. Decided to go with the graphite as I like the feel of it and I think for the most part I should be able to stay within the limitations of a graphite rod.

Fin Nor Lethal LT60 - was going for a Pflueger Salt but this seemed very similar and i could get it at a better price on the day. There seemed to be very little splitting the reels at this price point anyway.

Should be able to give this a crack on the weekend.

Oh, and the Fin Nor Biscayne/Rovex Air Surf prime combo is $99 this weekend (with some rovex braid thrown in) where I picked up my new kit. Seems quite a decent setup and the price was hard to go past, but as above it just was not going to be able to be used as much if I couldnt transport it.

I was looking at the aerowaves when I upgraded my surf outfit. They look like a nice rod, but the store didn't have the 3pce model available at the time. I ended up going the 13' 3piece Penn prevail and a pflueger salt 070sw. Poor thing has been thrown all over the rocks and still stays strong. Best of all, it fits in the back of my Rx7!

Next one will be the 2pce 11' prevail with a 040 salt I would say. Interested to hear what you think of your setup.

Given it a few goes now, yet to get anything solid on it yet though. Casting is great and seems to do better with heavier loads. Reel has plenty of power, a few weed snags and a just legal bream were no match.

Hoping to find something to give it a fight soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyderglas regal 13.5 ft.7 wrap.

Amazing for beach and rocks...big slab baits are no problem........these are indestructible old school rods

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Can't argue with that .....I've got two..but damn they're hard to find now days unless you do a special order from Wilsons

re

Just a comment, but if you look at the difference between a 10ft rod and a 14ft rod in the surf the difference at say 60m is negligible - I knew that stuff I was forced to learn at school would be useful at some point. The difference of an extra 4 foot of rod length is very marginal as far as keeping the line above the surf / wave break. Sure if you get down to a 6ft rod its different but I would suggest that with a modern graphite rod and braid. a10ft rod will match a 14ft rod most days.