Sailing Boat Skippers Rule the Waves?

fragmeister

I don't normally complain about other people on the water but...

Is it just me or do sailing boat skippers forget that when they are under power they don't have right of way?

I give them a wide berth whether they are under sail or not as they are clearly not as agile as a power boat but really, I honestly think they forget they are under power and just expect you will give way under all conditions.

Is it just me or do many sailing boat skippers often seem to pass as close as they can to my boat at anchor (not in the main channel or anything) or just as close to markers in what looks like some attempt to demonstrate how well they can handle their boat under sail?

Does anyone else have this experience or is it just me?

Absolutely. I fished the Wedding Cakes in the Harbour one Saturday Afternoon (bad move i know). Was anchored no more that 5m from the structure yet had multiple sailboats come between my vessel and the Wedding Cake, several times cutting our lines and they had the nerve to abuse me! Sorry, but that's wrong.

Absolutely. I fished the Wedding Cakes in the Harbour one Saturday Afternoon (bad move i know). Was anchored no more that 5m from the structure yet had multiple sailboats come between my vessel and the Wedding Cake, several times cutting our lines and they had the nerve to abuse me! Sorry, but that's wrong.

Ah ha!

I knew it wasn't just me.

Cheers

Jim

Jim, interesting point. Yes to your question. Have had many close quarters experiences, but the same goes with blokes in boats. We have more problems with skippers who dont know what side they should be on or how to act in a crossover situation. Even worse is steaming out at night seeing rec anglers at anchor with making way lights on and the guys who shine a pissy torch as you dont know if its a headlamp just moving.

People drive everyday on the road and there are road rules, most of us obey them. Those that dont suffer the consequences. It is the same on the water usually the consequences can be worse.

To many people forget the rules as soon as they buy a boat, would you forget them if you bought a car. That goes for power, sail and anything else that floats.

Brindabella showed us what she could do while we were anchored inside middle head.

Silent and no warning until it was time to turn when the yelling started.

They were using us as a mark!

These things are big, and to see guys 3m above you laughing it,up its a worry