Report On Sp Day

tide'n'knots

gday raiders, I had the pleasure of attending the soft plastics/hard body social on the georges river today and it was a real blast to meetup and rub shoulders with fellow raiders such as Hodgy, Ray R, dan bubba frost, mick, slinky, jewhunter, and jew gaffer but to name a few.

What a well organised event and a big congratulations and thankyou goes out to stewy and all the moderaters and volunteers who had the event running like a well oiled machine, and to top it off great sausage sangas!

After some expert coaching from mick on the finer art of using plastics and blades etc I set out in the boat with fellow raider rich to put what we had just learned into practise.

I managed a stonker whiting which I forgot to measure before releasing it, but it would have been over 40cm and as fat as a large beer bottle! I then managed to catch a couple of EPs and a small bream. Poor old Rich unfortunately didnt have any luck today but I am sure that he enjoyed the day as much as I did and no doubt will put what he learned to good use in the future, however he did get a few suspect hits without hooking up, oh well thats fishing.

Did anyone else get any fish???? if so how about a response and some pics? :thumbup::biggrin2:

Once again thankyou to all who made the day the great success that it was.

pete.

post-8689-127702915573_thumb.jpg\

the elbow slapper!

post-8689-127702917464_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127702921129_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127702922677_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127702924393_thumb.jpg

Edited by tide'n'knots

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tide and knots,

It isn't often that I reply to non-fly reports, but have to say that that Whiting you caught could be harpooned by the Japanese whale fleet!.

What a behemoth!

gday nanook, yeah it certainly was a very good whiting! I caught one of similar size many years ago in the hawkesbury but they only come along once in a blue moon so to get it on a lure really made my day.

pete.

The weather was spectacular and it turned out to be a fantastic day. The little beach at Burrawang Reach was soon filled with raiders boats.

We registered over 90 raiders and they were split into 8 groups. The instructors were GregL, Dan BUBBA Frost, stillrockn, slinkymalinky, jewhunter, Mick, Hodgey and Mako who did an excellent job of teaching their pupils the gentle art of soft plastic fishing. After about 2 hours of instruction, raiders jumped into boats and went off to practise their newly learned skills.

Flightmanager cooked us sausage, onion, bacon and egg rolls and the coffee and tea kept us warm until the sun started to work its magic. Initially we had a problem with the fishraider BBQ that was not working. Johnno saved the day and went with Mako to collect his BBQ from his nearby house.

Global Tackle turned up with an array of rods/combos and lure packs. I saw several raiders walking away with some very nice purchases indeed.

TTLures sent us a selection of blades and jigheads to hand out to the participants. Mr David Duffy from Viva Tackle came along and very kindly donated a Lox Rod and some Lox hats. Each raider received a raffle ticket and the rod was won by Martin who was extremely happy.

We even had a visit from the local fire brigade and the park ranger to ensure we were all happy. Bubba took lots of raiders for a ride in his lovely red Skeeter.

Thank you to everyone who helped us today, Cath, Peita, johnno, Reggie the Rabbit and anyone I have forgotten.

Here are a few snaps as always.

post-869-127703078917_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703079777_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703085425_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703086109_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703086667_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703087557_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703088255_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703088924_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703089422_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703089974_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703094282_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703095053_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703096022_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703096885_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703097566_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703098154_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703099066_thumb.jpg

post-869-12770309993_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703108126_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703121888_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703122719_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703123495_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703153305_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703154382_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703155291_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703156111_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703156933_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703157798_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703158447_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703161244_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703162133_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703162996_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703163682_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703164295_thumb.jpg

post-869-127703165151_thumb.jpg

gday raiders, I had the pleasure of attending the soft plastics/hard body social on the georges river today and it was a real blast to meetup and rub shoulders with fellow raiders such as Hodgy, Ray R, dan bubba frost, mick, slinky, jewhunter, and jew gaffer but to name a few.

What a well organised event and a big congratulations and thankyou goes out to stewy and all the moderaters and volunteers who had the event running like a well oiled machine, and to top it off great sausage sangas!

After some expert coaching from mick on the finer art of using plastics and blades etc I set out in the boat with fellow raider rich to put what we had just learned into practise.

I managed a stonker whiting which I forgot to measure before releasing it, but it would have been over 40cm and as fat as a large beer bottle! I then managed to catch a couple of EPs and a small bream. Poor old Rich unfortunately didnt have any luck today but I am sure that he enjoyed the day as much as I did and no doubt will put what he learned to good use in the future, however he did get a few suspect hits without hooking up, oh well thats fishing.

Did anyone else get any fish???? if so how about a response and some pics? thumbup.gifbiggrin2.gif

Once again thankyou to all who made the day the great success that it was.

pete.

post-8689-127702915573_thumb.jpg\

the elbow slapper!

post-8689-127702917464_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127702921129_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127702922677_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127702924393_thumb.jpg

That is fantastic and I am sure your tutor Mick will love to read this post!!

What a beautiful day it turned out to be.

I would like to thank Grant for all the great information he shared with us. The swordies and all the other moderators for everything they did to get this social happening.

It was all very much appreciated.

Thank you

That is fantastic and I am sure your tutor Mick will love to read this post!!

Its funny you should say that donna as mick was telling us how much big whiting love blades and BINGO! as if magic a cracker of a whiting appears on the day of the social almost as though he forseen it!

pete.

Hi guys

Gee I am sorry I missed this get-together, but unfortunately, events beyond my control took over & I was unable to make it, THIS TIME!! :1crybaby: When is the NEXT ONE?? Terrific to see so many Raiders taking part & I look forward to reading of everyone's experience of the day!

And what a terrific day & bay you had for it! Gorgeous!

Well done Pete on your huge whiting & the EPs! EPs are on my list ...... Grrrrr!! One day I'll catch one!! Just wait til you get a jewie on a plastic!! THAT, I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT!

Congratulations to Martin for winning the terrific Lox rod so kindly donated by David Duffy of Viva Tackle, & also the gear from TT Lures! Big thnks to the Master Casters .....Stewy (if he got over his cold), Hodgy, dan bubba frost, mick, Slinky, jewhunter) & probably others as well!! Come hell or high water, I will be making the next one!!! :wacko:

Well done - I fear that the fish population will be severely depleted, particularly in Sydney ..... next weekend!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi guys

Gee I am sorry I missed this get-together, but unfortunately, events beyond my control took over & I was unable to make it, THIS TIME!! :1crybaby: When is the NEXT ONE?? Terrific to see so many Raiders taking part & I look forward to reading of everyone's experience of the day!

And what a terrific day & bay you had for it! Gorgeous!

Well done Pete on your huge whiting & the EPs! EPs are on my list ...... Grrrrr!! One day I'll catch one!! Just wait til you get a jewie on a plastic!! THAT, I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT!

Congratulations to Martin for winning the terrific Lox rod so kindly donated by David Duffy of Viva Tackle, & also the gear from TT Lures! Big thnks to the Master Casters .....Stewy (if he got over his cold), Hodgy, dan bubba frost, mick, Slinky, jewhunter) & probably others as well!! Come hell or high water, I will be making the next one!!! :wacko:

Well done - I fear that the fish population will be severely depleted, particularly in Sydney ..... next weekend!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi roberta sorry to hear you couldnt make it. it was a shame that you couldnt be there today I am sure you would have enjoyed it, oh well as you say there is always next time.

I already have a nice jew on a plastic to my credit courtesy of stewy and his expert guidance, actually I have caught 3 on lures now 1 on a blade and 2 on plastics but 2 were undersized so only really 1 to brag about.Cant remember the exact size but I think it was about 70cm.

pete

To the Admin THANK YOU! very much for organising such a top day and the other's that help out with cooking and setting up, with out you guy's the day wouldn't have been a prefect day :thumbup:

The only thing lacking for me was catching a fish :ranting2::biggrin2:

Thank you Dan BUBBA for taking me out for a spin on your boat it was a blast and for being our instructor. You ROCK MAN! good luck in the near future with the competition hope you win more prize money........ :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank You! GUY'S and GAL'S for a top day

Thien

Great to see you got some fish, Pete. That Whiting's a corker :1yikes:

What a great day with great weather. Fantastic to meet lots of new Raiders and catch up with plenty of long term Raiders again too.

I've got to give a big thankyou to Mrsswordfisherman in particular for the outstanding organisation of the day... it's a big job. And to Swordy and Jewhunter... the rest of the Admin team there with Donna, for continuing to make sure Fishraider is the kind of community that so many people want to be part of.

Thanks also to my group of Raiders and all the others who attended the tutorials... hope I get to see some posts with some fish caught with some of the tips and techniques shared by all the tutors on the day.

Bubba... your boat is a WEAPON! It's going to take me the best part of a week for my eyes to return to the front of my skull and for me to wipe the smile off my face :biggrin2:

And I'd like to add my thanks to Global Tackle, Viva Fishing and TT lures for their support of the day. Like a lot of you, I went home with some goodies from Mark and Y's tackle table... Those Kokoda blades looked too good to pass up. A lot of Raiders got to have a cast with one of the Lox rods loaned by David Duffy, as well as one very happy Englishman with a brand new Lox of his own... well done Martin. Most Raiders got to go home with some great TT lures or jig-heads, or a Lox cap.

Can't wait for the next social.

Thanks to all, Slinky

Was a great day although we kinda forgot to come back and check on things every now and then as we got so caught up with fishing :P we headed out and johnny (Fisher Doi) landed himself a mixed bag i droped a 40's flatty at the boat he got 2 flatty's both in the 40's one ELBOW SLAPPER whiting of 41cm a 32cm trevally and we finished it off with a 38cm bream!

Well what a crackin' day! The weather was kind, attendance was terrific and tucker was up to Ross' usual high standard once again :thumbup: I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with everyone again and finally meeting many more members. Congratulations to our newest Gold Members and Mentors - well deserved one and all :thumbup:

I too would like to thank Admin for a terrific social. It must have pleased you immensely to see fruits of your labours ... there were a lot of smiling faces there! Thanks also to Global Tackle, Viva Fishing and TT Lures. I saw a lot of Raiders walking around with new gear :biggrin2:

Unfortunately for me, Bubba took my daughter and her boyfriend for a spin in the 'red rocket' ... guess what she wants for her birthday now? :074:

Thank you for a great day everyone. I can't wait for the next one! :yahoo:

Cheers

Hodgey

:thumbup: What a top day, major congrats to the Swordies and all thier assistants for making this day a huge success.

The day itself was a cracker and for me personally it was great to meet up with people whom I'd only seen in pics or as an avatar.

I sat in with Hodgey's group and he did a top job in explaining the art of luring, I'm sure all the other group leaders did a fantastic job too.

So again I say a huge thanks to to everyone and all the Raider members who attended the sponsonrs and the companies involved in making the social

such a top day.. :biggrin2::thumbup:

... Unfortunately for me, Bubba took my daughter and her boyfriend for a spin in the 'red rocket' ... guess what she wants for her birthday now? :074:

... Cheers

Hodgey

Yes... I can see the problem because I know how much you'd hate having to get your own Skeeter :074:

Christy is a great kid, Skip. You should be proud of yourself.

Slinky

What a cracker day !

Thanks to Admin Team for organising such an excellent sesion. It was great to meet up with fellow raiders. A big thanks also to Slinkymalinky for sharing some of his knowledge. :thumbup::thumbup:

After the session I went for a run in my boat with Big_Muskellunge and his mate, trying some of the techniques and new tackle. I managed a 33cm flatty on SP, and also a small chopper on the little hardbody I bought earlier in the week from Mark at Global Tackle. Unfortunately that was all that was pulled in that afternoon, but we had a good time, and it was great to fish and to chat with some new mates.

BTW - that's a beaut whiting there pete.

Cheers, fishtime

What a great day! Thank you to ALL the FR team especially Stewy for giving me some extra tuition with knots. :thumbup: Thought it was strange that Cath bought some bandaids & wooden pegs?? till I saw what Stew had in mind :074:

We arrived at dawn to drop off some gear for Donna & watched as the sun put on a beautiful show down in the National Park we all take for granted too often.

With some organizing by Donna things began swimmingly! :074: Seems mrs swordie has a knack for that.

We all had a feed of hot sausage sambos' (thanks for cooking Ross - Flightmanager) & as we ate there were many addicts hovering around the Global Tackle display :drool: parting with a little cash to get the next addition to our collection of fishing gear! :yahoo:

The FR team involved in the training sessions were all very knowledgeable & patient with both the dumb questions & the tricky ones alike. - thanks again guys - well done.

We headed out for a play with our new skills & for some (me too) with our new toys to try our luck.

What a great way to spend a Sunday. :fisher:

post-2988-127707259315_thumb.jpg

post-2988-127707261735_thumb.jpg

post-2988-127707325954_thumb.jpg

post-2988-127707326604_thumb.jpg

Hello.

I want to congratulate Fishraiders for the awesome day. The organization was amazing, you guys even booked the right weather for the day:biggrin2:

Thanks Tony for teaching me so many things about softy plastics.

My friend Jason, was really impressed and I am sure he will be joining us at fishraiders.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay any longer to try what was shown me, as my wife was home with a very bad flu.

Thanks again to all organizers, Job well done.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Vladimir

AWESOME !!!

What a cracker of an event put on by Fishraider, you guys are great and thank you so much.

Sorry Peter and myself didn't return from our fish but we were fishin and became very tired and made the smartest move, went back to the ramp and drove back up the coast.

Thanks again and Stewy, we did think of you while flickin lures around, did try get you a 10 minute leave pass for a quicky haha, was great meeting other members.

Rzep......I now know who you are.... :tease::1prop:

Cheers,

Leo

PS- damn winch cable snapped retrieving boat also, get new one today.

Hi All,

I just wanted to add my thanks as well to the organisers & everyone that took part. It was a fantastic day (even if I did turn up late), everyone was welcoming & made themselves available to have a chat, in particular thanks to Reggie for showing me around his Brooker & the advice he gave.

I will be ripping the seat out of my Brooker this week & hope to see you on the Bay one day.

Also cheers to Global Tackle for the deals. The social was a great example of what I think Fishraider is all about.

Top effort & Regards

Jason

P.s when is the next social?

Next social will probably be somewhere around October all being well. This will be Fishraider's 'Back to the Bay' social held in Botany Bay. It's usually really well attended and will be very much a fishing day as well as the usual social flavour. A great day for everyone to put into practice the sort of ideas talked about at the workshop.

Some great fish get caught each year at the Bay social, with winning fish sometimes being caught from the beach within a couple of hundred meters of 'base camp'.

Hope to see you all there.

Cheers, Slinky

Pete,

Thanks for taking me out in your boat and your advise on the water. Even though I didn't end up with any fish in the boat it was a great day with good company. That whiting was a beauty. I don't think the photo does it credit. Also to all the admin for all their work in organising the event and Mich who ran the class I was in a very big thankyou. Like everyone's comments earlier I had a great day and can't wait for the next one.

Regards

Richard