Ride on lawn mowers

locodave

Hi guys,

Bit off topic here but wondering if anyone has used these machines. Parents have recently bought a rural property. We know nothing about ride ons.

Looking at a victa spx 23/52 or a john Deere d140.

So the victa has a 23hp Briggs motor with a 52 inch diameter.

John Deere has a 22hp with a 48" diameter.

Anyone can suggest which one is better in terms of reliability, parts etc?

Thanks.

Gday Dave.

The where I'm from everyone has a ride on, including me.

The Victa hasn't got a great rep for ride ons' & the Deere is nick named

John to Deere!

It's Cox all the way for ride ons. Reliable, easy to work on & cheap on blades & parts.

Cheers,

Grant.

Husqvarna make a decent ride on, worth looking at too.

As a kid I had to mow a 3 acre lawn with a variety of cox mowers. They're cheap, simple but a bit on the nasty side. Slow to cut but if you're not in a hurry will do the job. Don't know what they're like now though, this was a while back. Once I moved away from and the old man started having to do the mowing he soon got rid of the cox and bought a Kubota mower with three times the cutting width and twice as fast...

Thanks for replies so far!

Will be gutting around 2.5 acres. The current owner cuts it in 3hrs with a 42" deck. He is a mechanic and is happy with JD but i always thought Victa was a good brand. Some people have mentioned cox too as being good!

If it's that amount of lawn to mow look at the Kubota F - series mowers. They're a good mower, fast and even though they're not "zero turn" like the Z-series they turn tightly enough. The 60 inch deck will probably have the 2.5 acres done in about an hour with good going and not too many trees or other obstacles. The 72 inch deck even faster!

Mate I was like you, first time buyer for mowing about the same size lawn 3~4 acres. My recommendation is definitely buy a zero turn and at least a 50 inch cutting deck. Also I recommend a fabricated machine. The rest comes down to budget.

Edited by The President

Well I say get the widest cut you can. 72 inch is good.

Why would you want to take 3 hours to do the job when you can do it in 1 hour with a bigger machine. They might cost more but worth it for sure, especially in summer when you need to cut grass once a week or more..

Victa do a 42 inch 20hp zero turn, available at the red and green hardware store where I work for $4,399. I don't know if that's big enough for your needs but it gives you a starting point for comparison. I can't speak for it's longevity/reliability myself but I and my team have sold a few over the last 3 years or so and had no complaints or returns that I am aware of. I have had a drive of one on a staff field day and they are easy to operate and seem to do a good job. (One on display at Rouse Hill store ;) ). My advice is to do your research, look for online reviews and seek advice from people with acreage and their experiences.

Good luck!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Victa do a 42 inch 20hp zero turn, available at the red and green hardware store where I work for $4,399. I don't know if that's big enough for your needs but it gives you a starting point for comparison. I can't speak for it's longevity/reliability myself but I and my team have sold a few over the last 3 years or so and had no complaints or returns that I am aware of. I have had a drive of one on a staff field day and they are easy to operate and seem to do a good job. (One on display at Rouse Hill store ;) ). My advice is to do your research, look for online reviews and seek advice from people with acreage and their experiences.

Good luck!

Baz

Can you get a discount? I'm just up the road!

Can you get a discount? I'm just up the road!

Yes, I can but I'd lose my job if I claimed my team discount for someone else.

But why not come in and have a look. The boss might be in a good mood and throw in a bottle of oil or something. You never know.

Baz

A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on the verandah, drinking beer and watching my wife mow the lawn.

Cheryl from next door saw us and was so upset that she came over and yelled at me, "You lazy mongrel! Sitting there drinking beer while your poor wife pushes that ancient lawn mower around! Get up off your fat butt and give her a break!"

I thought '$hite, women!' - took another swig from my stubby, wiped the cold foam from my lips, lifted my sunnies, stared directly at this nosey cow and told her in no uncertain terms to sod off and mind her own business. I told her my wife had green fingers and that she really enjoyed gardening.

After a few days I felt really bad, so I went out and bought her a ride-on mower to show my senstive side. I'm really proud of the deal I got and also very proud that my wife can now sit down while mowing the lawn. Yes guys, we should take good care of our wives... then maybe they'll take good care of us.

I've attached a picture below...hope it comes through OK

post-35320-0-33559400-1428009925_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I know - I'm too bloody soft with her. She'll want gears on it next.