Beach fishing setup

Michael12

Hi Raiders,

Long time lurker first time poster here. Haha.

I'm after a bit of advice about beach rods, I've never done a great deal of it mainly due to the fact I don't have a rod for it, but a question I have for you guys is, would a Shimano Baitrunner 4000oc match up any good to a Shimano Aero Wave 12-13ft rod?

I've already got the reel matched up with my snapper rod and I've found one of the rods on sale and was thinking that if the reel is good for beach fishing then I just get the rod and I'm good to go at a reasonably cheap price for easter.

Thanks in advance guys.

I run a BC 4000 OC on my intermediate boat rod matched to a Starlo Classix 7' 5-8 kg which works well in that setup from the boat and I would also be interested in any feedback others have matching this to a beach rod. I can't offer anything sorry Michael, but hopefully others can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Michael

Your 4000 OC is a little small and light for a 12 or 13' rod. Its more suited to a light weight 9 or 10' rod which is fine for chasing bream whiting and flathead on the sand. You'd even be fine chasing the odd salmon or small tailer on 12 or 14lb line.

I have been using a 4500b for the beach with 14 lb fire line Have changed to a daiwa CY 4000 and love it. Much lighter. Perfect for everything from whiting to salmon. Why put a heavy reel on a lightweight carbon rod? I have 300 yards of 20 lb braid so capacity isn't an issue. The rod is rated to 10 kg so can put some hurt on if needed. Bit usually only use 15 lb leader.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Crossfire63, I think you just helped me make up my mind!

After you mentioning the 9-10ft rods I did a little research and am now looking at going for something around a 10ft surf rod, which turns out is also suited to lure/soft plastic fishing(my favourite way to fish), but will also be good to use off the rocks/break wall instead of my usual 7ft snapper rod.

Mate just depends on when you are going to fish, during the day I fish with 4000 series reels ABU Soron STX with 6kg mono and 30 lb leader with 12 ft rods 8-12kg allows you to cast further when the gutters are out a bit and allows you to put a bit of grunt in for the bigger fish like salmon. Don't like light braid off the surf, keeps knotting up with the wash. Also the light gear allows me to move around a bit to find the fish.

At night I fish the same rods with 6000 reels with 30lb braid or mono as well as a heavier old favourite snider 13ft glass rod with a 7000 ABU and 15 kg mono, overheads are a nightmare to cast at night with braid. I use IGFA rated monos as they are thinner with less memory, casts well. Good luck with the choices