Top Dogs hit Sydney Harbour 29.03.15

dwan8337

Hi Raiders,

During the week the boys kept bugging me as to where we should go for the weekend. Clearly, not working hard at work at all.

Usually, we hit the hacking because of the pristine waters and calm waters as one of the boys has extremely short sea legs, if none at all :hug:It's okay Adrian, if your reading this.

Hacking usually produces a good number of kingfish, bonitos & mackerel for us so we decided to hit the harbour for a change.

Felt like a bread & butter session targeting bream, trevally & flathead.

Launched at Gladesville ramp at 5:00 and motored out to Clifton anchoring just out of the casting range of the land based boys. Just as we got the berley going, an idiot in a tinny (I hope he reads this) comes motoring around inspecting the boats around and heads towards the wharf. He goes in close, cutting across where the land based people's floats are and next thing you hear is drag going off from the line getting caught on his boat somewhere. He then proceeds to anchor up about 10m in front of us and starts microjigging. Why you would go in to people's casting range catch their line and anchor right next to another boat when there's acres of space in the area is beyond me. Get a brain and please attach it permanently to your head.

Anyways, got that out of the system. You guys must all have some sort of experience like this? Please do share

Back to the report. We stuck around Clifton till around 8 with nothing much to show for it. The sounder was going crazy but crazy for undersized snapper, so we made the call to move to another spot a mate of mine fished at.

Within a few minutes of anchoring and sending the berley down, the baitrunner 2500 started singing and I thought I was onto a rat king given the sustained run and thumping headshakes...

Up came the biggest trevally of the year just shy of 60cm! That seemed to kick start the session with every bream & flathead being over legal size mixed in with a couple of undersized kingfish (which were released obviously). As we were starting to run out of the bait, Adrian hooked up to a couple of small bonito which turned into a bait "time extension". Picked up a good sized salmon and more bream after that. Called it at 11am left them biting.

Such a good feeling when you catch what you've planned to do. Not sure where to go next week now haha

post-17226-0-12894200-1427759820_thumb.jpg

post-17226-0-49761100-1427759826_thumb.jpg

Poor land based guys do it tough enough without some so&so running over their lines.

Some people just empty headed, I had a guy on a jetski come to a stop right where I had been casting, The whole river was empty and he picks the 4m^2 that I was using.. was tempted to cast at him anyway.

Nice work on the fish, makes dealing with the idiots all worthwhile.

many years at Merimbula wharf, clowns used to park their boats right in casting range at the wharf. One of the old locals, a war vet didnt take any crap so after losing line etc to a boat he started on them, he was hurling sinkers or whatever he could get his hands on at them, All you could hear was the sound of missiles bouncing off the tinny, the cops turned up and asked him to stop and also gave the guys in the boat a mouthful about parking the boat so close in to the land based fishos.

I had a live squid out at cliftons a few months ago and this dive operator decided to drop anchor over my line, and this was also within casting distance of the wharf. I yelled at him and he gave me a finger lol there are some people out there who need a few sinkers to knock some sense into them. Aside from all that looks like you had a nice day on the water

Wow that Trevally! That's a thumper.

Yeh we have experienced the same thing at CG but with hire boat heroes flying around the place trying to chase the boiling water.. all they managed to do is drop hooked fish and scare the bait ball down. Idiots.

I've also encountered LB issues at CG where the divers were intentionally cutting peoples line. Sometimes I wonder where these people learn their lack of manors and respect for others from....

Not to worry. A day fishing with an idiot in sight is better than a days work.!

Jings man- that trevally! Great work!

I'm land-based and I sympathise with all the folks having to make way for ferries and boats, it can be a real pain at busy times, but it does work both ways- I've seen guys on public wharves chuck out lines in front of incoming boats and then start to get upset when they're asked to reel in to make way and they start hurling abuse. A guy fishing about a hair's length away from me the other day chucked his line onto the back of a water taxi, all because he wasn't patient enough to wait til it was out of casting distance, then moaned when his trace got busted off. There are idiots all over, whether they're in boats or not.

Guest 4myson

Great cacth there ... As they say COMMON SENSE & COMMON COURTESY is NOT that COMMON Nowadays !!!! I've seen some STUPID Things on the water , What really gets my blood BOILING is when I'm out fishing with kids YOU always get some DIP @#IT coming in within meters of our boat while we're at anchor at full speed creating such wash that my kids get thrown around the boat from idiots in JetSki's to idiots on boats !!

Edited by 4myson

Great catch mate, thanks for sharing the pics.

While we are talking about idiots, I saw one bloke at Tunks park ramp put his tinnie in without the bunga, it sank fully below the water line as he drove off to park.

So he gets a bucket and tries "bailing the water out", dude was trying to bail the entire pacific ocean out with a bucket.

Wouldnt believe it had I not saw it with my own teared up eyes.