Forster Fishing

veck

Greetings Fishoes

Went to Foster last weekend with the family, did some great dives around Seal Rocks, had some very close encounters with 3 local grey nurses and a blue groper. Also saw lots of morwong, whiting and snapper during the dives. I can understand how Foster has a reputation for big game fish, there was bait fish everywhere. On the last day went fishing with my son at Foster beach. There was a few fishoes with breams and flatties in their bucket. We fished for about 3 hours and caught a heap of breams, only 2 were around the 30cm mark, but it kept us busy all morning. A few of the locals I spoke to had some outrageous stories of massive Jews caught in the last few weeks of the beach late at night. Not sure if they were having a bit of fun with the tourist. Fantastic place to fish, swim, dive and have great time with the family.

Sorry, can't work out how to attach photos of the dives

Sounds like a great trip, veck. I wouldn't be surprised if the locals were telling you the truth - FR members OWZAT and Lawrie both come from up that way - and you've seen some of their pics! As far as picture posting goes, check out these two guides:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=11144

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...?showtopic=2228

Flattieman.

Hi guys

Being a Forster resident for 7 years, now, I reckon it is the best kept fishing secret ever! It is like I have died & gone to heaven! You can go to a choice of about 7 beaches within a 10 min drive of central Forster. Often you virtually have the whole beach to yourself! Worms are found on most of them. Good gutters found at regular intervals on the longer beaches, so usually able to get into decent fish. Flatties are everywhere just now & lots of jewies off the breakwall. Great blackfishing from the breakwall & near the leases - if you have a bigger boat, excellent fishing off shore. Just take care crossing the bar - it is usually pretty tame, but when the wind & tide changes, it can cut up pretty bad. Have seen people doing stupid things when crossing!

My brother & a buddy came up last month for a long weekend 'fish fest' and had the most fun they've had standing up. They got into so many different fish species! They even got a bucketful of whitebait that had scholled up in the corner of Janies Corner - they had launched themselves onto the sand, being chased by bigger things! They can't wait to get back here for the next session. And these guys live within spitting distance of Collaroy Beach & Dee Why! Maybe the pressures of it being 'home turf' means they have to do 'home' things when there instead of 'fishing things', whereas here, they can fish their hearts out! And they did.

If you haven't been here before, put it on your 'holiday' list. Better to visit outside of Holiday periods, tho - the increased boating traffic really does affect the fishing - some are just idiots. One caravan park even has it's own 'prawn creek' in the middle of it - just wade in & scoop for dinner, with access to one of the best fishing spots in the Lake (Lani's)!! Most of the Caravan parks have instant access to the lake. There are a couple of 'fun parks' for the kids (if they are not into fishing) & a big skateboard rink & lots of other stuff for them to do.

The prawns are running now - get into it! Look forward to seeing you here - give us a yell if you want a fishing buddy when you are here!

Cheers

Roberta

• 4 years later...

Hi, I may be heading to Forster in a few weeks hoping to catch the end of the game fishing season.

Can anyone give me some info about this location in relation to game fishing? Is it the same as sydney? or are there different locations/depths to consider? I'm not asking for specifics just anything I should know to make my trip a bit more enjoyable.

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg

Gee, that was a post from the past!!! :1yikes:

Where are you staying? I would highly recommend Forster Beach Caravan Park-Chris (Manager) can help you out with any info you need re 'game fishing' I reckon - also Fishraiders get 10% discount on their accomodation! Make sure you mention this when you pay.

http://www.forsterbeachcaravan.com.au/

There is a good bommie to the north of 9 mile beach (Black Head end) that produces nice snapper. Good sized kingies have been caught trolling along the Pebbly Beach area and out along Bennet's Head headland.

There is also a good bommie off the pool of the Main Beach. The area all along from that bommie to Bennet's Head is also a good area to grab your live bait. Jewies hang out there too.

Dolphin fish, trag, snapper, kingies and other offshore fish were caught in last week's Forster Fishing Carnival! You should have been here for that!!!

GOod luck

Roberta

Edited by Roberta