rice flour

jimmy72

found this out lately with some obsessive googling and testing on some fillets of spanish mac.

if you like a crispier final product when doing the simple dipping in egg and dusting with flour to fry.

try mixing rice flour with plain flour; a bit less than 50/50 rice flour, maybe 40 rice flour /60 plain, or 30/70 depending on fillet thickness.

the rice flour breathes and crispens better / faster (lets air and oil around it / through it) where normal flour doesn't (normal flour its kind of seals itself).

its will crispen much faster/ better when fried and save you over cooking and stewing the fish - double bonus !

dont over cook though it can get too crisp, so thicker fillets = less rice flour. the above 40/60 works with fillets of about 2cms, so any thicker reduce the rice flour amount.

i usually add loads of salt and pepper into the flour mix too, and maybe a little lemon pepper or chilli for variety

bon appetit

cheers

grant

It's a great tip grant I've done it a few times and it comes up pretty good.

For mine though wholemeal flour is all I use on fish now. It works so much better than plain.

Might have to have a go at a wholemeal/rice mix.

Dave

cheers bob, sounds tasty

It's a great tip grant I've done it a few times and it comes up pretty good.

For mine though wholemeal flour is all I use on fish now. It works so much better than plain.

Might have to have a go at a wholemeal/rice mix.

Dave

cheers dave, never thought of wholemeal, good for the insides as well (now i'm 42 i need to think about that sort of stuff ) i'll be giving that a go!

thanks

grant

Guest 4myson

A chef from a well know restaurant in Sydney told me a great way for a perfect CRISPY batter is believe it or not is just water & flour . The trick is to use COLD Soda Water, the fizzer the better & once the batter is mixed place 5 or 6 ice cubes into the batter . The colder you can keep the batter the Crispier the outcome ! Since using this method I've found it to be "FAIL-PROOF "