Reel Backing - Is it just a cost thing?

seacow

Ok I preface this with a statement "I am a lazy fisherman." With that in mind I was in my local tackle store searching for 6 pound braid to put on my new stradic 2500.

Anyway, all the usual (braid) suspects were there for purchase. However there were no lengths over 150 yard spools. (I was looking for 300 yards to take up the whole reel) Upon questioning the staff I was told buy the shorter strands and put some backing on it. "It's better and cheaper."

Now I can understand the cheaper thing but better?????

Is it something here I am over looking????

If I was to use backing what poundage and what knot would be the best???? I don't think my standard double uni will cut the mustard. 

Guest 4myson

I'm like you , I Like spooling my whole reel with braid & hate using any sort of backing . You might have to shop online as I do for braid where you can easily get 300 yd spools & they even do them in 2000 yd spools .

I use as little backing as possible but MUST have some there as the braid will spin on the spool under load and Yes I have seen it happen, in saying that my last reel I spooled had overcome this problem by making a loop to tie the braid to.

I use backing on light braid (6 lb) to keep the cost down, and also as I am extremely unlikely to spool the outfit. I can strip off outer layers as they fray and become more likely to form wind knots and if needed either replace or add to the backing very cheaply.

For my heavier outfits I run a full spool of braid. I am the first to admit I am not a heavy tackle expert but have had no issues with slippage yet.

I do put two wraps of good quality electrical tape on the bare spool before I start loading line however (laid in the same direction as the line).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Ok I preface this with a statement "I am a lazy fisherman." With that in mind I was in my local tackle store searching for 6 pound braid to put on my new stradic 2500.

Anyway, all the usual (braid) suspects were there for purchase. However there were no lengths over 150 yard spools. (I was looking for 300 yards to take up the whole reel) Upon questioning the staff I was told buy the shorter strands and put some backing on it. "It's better and cheaper."

Now I can understand the cheaper thing but better?????

Is it something here I am over looking????

If I was to use backing what poundage and what knot would be the best???? I don't think my standard double uni will cut the mustard. 

Well to answer your questions, I don't understand why they would tell you it's better to run a mono backing unless they think mono is generally better than braid. But then you wouldn't put braid on to start with.

A few turns of mono backing on the bottom of the spool is always good to prevent any slipping. I can't see any advantage of using more mono than that other than to save money on braid.

For me it's cheaper to use a mono backing to fill the space. On a 2500 reel and 150 yards of braid, you will unlikely ever see the backing.

For backing, I would generally use the same size/ strength as your main line and same knot as the leader knot. You just never know when you may actually need it, and if you do it will most likely be on a fish of a lifetime to get down that far so it better be reliable just to be safe.

Personally with my spin reels I build up my spool with a good amount of backing and then put on 150 yards on.

Oncethe braid has had some good use and is faded, I pull the braid off by hand and flip the pile over and respool it in reverse, a little time consuming but saves a few bucks.

I can honestly say iv never had any fish get anywhere near taking off 150 yards of braid in a general situation. Another point is, if for some reason you've lost 150-200 yards, the braid would be well below the lip of the spool hindering the effectiveness of your cast thru friction.

Harry

A double uni is fine but you need to tie a double in the braid first using a bimini twist with at least 40 turns instead of the usual 20.

I don't think saving money by using mono backing is a minor consideration especially when you have multiple outfits to spool. You will still have plenty of line to play a fish on most outfits (ie 250 - 300m).