Caught My First Blackfish On Go-fish Pete's Green Weed Fly!

arpie

Hi guys

Well, I hit a popular spot in Tuncurry today, determined to give Go-Fish Pete's Green Weed Fly a real workout!! I tied it onto a stronger trace than I usually use - 10lb instead of 6lb, in the hope of not busting off ........ I also put it on the 'top' trace, so that it was higher than the bottom hook, so also less likely to snag.

First side of the Green Weed Fly - dry

post-2231-1218958633_thumb.jpg

Other side

post-2231-1218958842_thumb.jpg

I put some Sydney green weed on the bottom hook & had the Green Weed Fly on the top hook.

The float headed towards an oyster covered pole & I 'encouraged' it to move away & then lifted the rod to bring the line & & recast ...... when a really nice blackie jumped on the hook & took off! :1yikes: A sleeper!

I played the fish & got it to the net & that is when I realised that it had actually taken the Green Weed Fly that Go-Fish Pete so kindly supplied me to 'test'!!! I was Gob Smacked! The others hadn't realised I was fishing with fake weed & were wondering why I was 'going off'!!

post-2231-1218959053_thumb.jpg

It was a beautiful looking fish in top condition!!

It was really 'hard' fishing today, too - up till then, only one other fish had been caught & there were 4 of us fishing! :wacko: I despatched the fish into my bucket & tossed the float & fly back into the drink!

The float went down & I struck ...... it was a snag! I wasn't too worried about that, as it has happened there before & I gave a sharp jerk to release it. Up came the float & line ..... MINUS THE GREEN WEED FLY!!! :( I couldn't believe it!! Somehow the top trace managed to snag & bust off cleanly whilst the bottom trace didn't get snagged at all! :( :(

I was heart broken! I may see if my neighbours kids can go for a swim when the water clears & see if they can find it! (Or I could ask Keith .......) Somehow, I don't think the other blackie fishos would be impressed if I did! :tease:

Well, I now know that the weed fly WORKS!!! I'll be putting in an order for some more!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Awesome :thumbup:

I picked up a couple on Friday too with the plan of trying to sight fish for blackies with the fly rod.

Mind you... just because the best Blackie gun :ph34r: in Raider can catch fish with one, doesn't mean we mere mortals :insane: can follow suit but it will be fun trying.

Cheers, Slinky

PS. sad for your loss :1crybaby: ... hope you get your fly back.

Hi guys

Well, I hit a popular spot in Tuncurry today, determined to give Go-Fish Pete's Green Weed Fly a real workout!! I tied it onto a stronger trace than I usually use - 10lb instead of 6lb, in the hope of not busting off ........ I also put it on the 'top' trace, so that it was higher than the bottom hook, so also less likely to snag.

First side of the Green Weed Fly - dry

post-2231-1218958633_thumb.jpg

Other side

post-2231-1218958842_thumb.jpg

I put some Sydney green weed on the bottom hook & had the Green Weed Fly on the top hook.

The float headed towards an oyster covered pole & I 'encouraged' it to move away & then lifted the rod to bring the line & & recast ...... when a really nice blackie jumped on the hook & took off! :1yikes: A sleeper!

I played the fish & got it to the net & that is when I realised that it had actually taken the Green Weed Fly that Go-Fish Pete so kindly supplied me to 'test'!!! I was Gob Smacked! The others hadn't realised I was fishing with fake weed & were wondering why I was 'going off'!!

post-2231-1218959053_thumb.jpg

It was a beautiful looking fish in top condition!!

It was really 'hard' fishing today, too - up till then, only one other fish had been caught & there were 4 of us fishing! :wacko: I despatched the fish into my bucket & tossed the float & fly back into the drink!

The float went down & I struck ...... it was a snag! I wasn't too worried about that, as it has happened there before & I gave a sharp jerk to release it. Up came the float & line ..... MINUS THE GREEN WEED FLY!!! :( I couldn't believe it!! Somehow the top trace managed to snag & bust off cleanly whilst the bottom trace didn't get snagged at all! :( :(

I was heart broken! I may see if my neighbours kids can go for a swim when the water clears & see if they can find it! (Or I could ask Keith .......) Somehow, I don't think the other blackie fishos would be impressed if I did! :tease:

Well, I now know that the weed fly WORKS!!! I'll be putting in an order for some more!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Bit of a shame about the fly, what material do you think was used in the fly ??

Cheers

Roffo

Thanks guys - i am still spewing at losing the fly! I thought I'd taken all the precautions I could :1badmood::mad3: I had thought of snorkelling it myself, Iceman, but it is fairly deep (deeper than 12ft) & always in current & very snaggy, so don't like my chances at all (or anybody elses!) :( The water clears at the top of the tide for a very short time (maybe an hour tops) then it is murky as & you couldn't see it if it was in front of your face with a sign on it!

Roffo - it looks like a clearish flat sort of polar flash - it turned a much darker green when wet! Initially I thought it would be a very pale colour.

Give yours a go, Slinky - given the tough fishing conditions, (the freezing cold wind was howling too!) I thought I'd have to wait for a 'hot bite' before hooking up!! Not so! It was another 3hrs before I caught another fish! :(

I had another fly given to me about 8 years ago which I actually tried in the same spot on flyrod, but having no knowledge of blackie fishing, fished it incorrectly, didn't catch a thing, looked a twit amongst the other fishos who were wondering what the hell this idiot was doing ....... then I put the fly away & for the life of me, can't remember where I put it!!! It was a fluffier one of pale green (more like wool)

THis one actually really looks the goods, especially when wet! THe fish had taken the bottom bait, then just sucked in the weed fly! :) Yes, Hodgey, it was a beautiful looking fish! The other fishos were impressed with the fly too, as green weed is often hard to come by up here!!

Cheerio

roberta

Edited by Roberta

Roberta,

I've never really caught or targeted blacky's, only those that might be hungry enough to smash a nipper that lands on their nose....but i recently saw plenty of good size ones hanging around some shallow weed beds in probably 3-5 foot of water as I was plastic'ing up the river.

Do you think the blacky's would take a fly popper style or perhaps with a small lead shot to get it down a foot or two?

From memory they hit like freight trains when I have caught them?

Hi poddy trapper

They do hit hard, so be ready! Some folk have seen them actively feeding on the surface, but normally would be down at about the weed level or a bit above. They actually hide in the weed & feed, too but that stops your bait from moving & they usually prefer a moving bait.

Don't know if they'd take a popper/fly - you can only try at different depths! Let us know how you go!

ROberta

Can anyone identify (accurately) the material these flys are made from. I've bought a couple from Pete at Go Fish but as a fly tyer I want to make some more of my own... only trouble it the material is a mystery. I've looked around and can't find anything that matches.

Cheers, Slinky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roffo

Beryling all depends on where you are fishing & how fast the water is flowing. If flowing fast, there is not much point using it, as, by the time it gets down to the bottom, it is benefitting the blokes further down the waterway.

If the flow is very slow, sure use it (or if you are in a boat, blackie fishing, as you can keep your float in the berley area easier. If fishing from shore, it is more difficult.) Just make sure you are down current of anyone else who is beryling, as you will get the most benefit! :) :)

Good luck with the flies - let us know how you go!

Cheerio

Roberta

It sounds like these artificial green weed flys are working very well on your blackfish Roberta. I wonder if they'll eventually produce artificial green weed burley so that you won't have to worry about collecting your own. :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

It sounds like these artificial green weed flys are working very well on your blackfish Roberta. I wonder if they'll eventually produce artificial green weed burley so that you won't have to worry about collecting your own.

Cheers

jewgaffer

:Funny-Post:

I reckon I may have now found a use for a couple of old artificial Christmas trees I have! Not to mention all the green tinsel! :074:

Cheers

Peter

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post: Both yours and Jewgaffers, Peter!! That tinsel would be a pretty close 'look alike!'

Roberta

I am housebound till the ute gets fixed up tho! :( Well, I could walk but it is about 5km to the breakwall!! :1yikes: COuld always trundle down to the beach & try Peter/luderick59's trick off the rocks .......

Roberta