Cooking Tailor & Trevally

costello

Hi.

Was just wondering if anyone had any tips on cooking Trevally or Tailor? Are they any good? My general rule is if they don't sell it in a shop then it can't be too good, to a certain point. I never have any trouble catching either of them just usually throw them back by habit...

Hi costa. The main problem with tailor is that they do not freeze well and should be eaten fresh. I usually smoke both tailor and trevally fillets (as well as sweep - another fish not known for its "quality" eating qualities). Smoked, these fillets are so popular with my friends and family that now I don’t always let them know when I’ve caught a few because they disappear too quickly!

post-4381-1242792798_thumb.jpg

Sweep fillets

post-4381-1242795114_thumb.jpg

Tailor fillets

The smoked fillets (wrapped in foil) last for days in the fridge too. However, if you don’t have a smoker, try seasoning the tailor/trev fillets with some lemon pepper spice. Coat the fillets with flour, then dip them in a lightly beaten egg, and cover with bread crumbs. Shallow fry the crumbed fillets until golden brown. Don’t overcook them. They usually only take a couple of minutes.

Serve the fillets with some lemon, or tartar sauce, or sweet chilli sauce etc, whatever you like? (But, you can't beat them smoked!)

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Other things i think will help with the taste of taylor and tevs is to make sure you bleed them straight away, some fish are better bled straight away as it wont go into the skin when dead IMAO.

Hope this helps and hope you have some great meals.

Trevally make Exellent shashimmi or my favourite Trevally congee

As for tailor'They are absolutely the best steamed :thumbup: Yummy

Ginger soy sauce shallots oil sugar and salt easy quick meal

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

try Thai green curried Travelly fillets !! bloody awsome..the readymade green curry paste from the supermarkets would do!

..ah..dont forget the jasmine rice as well..

..As the DILMAH man says.. DO TRY IT !! :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Both fish are ok to eat they just require a little more attention. First Bleed fish and get get them straight onto ice the tailor is only good fresh, the flesh turns to mush if you frezze and defrost. With your trevs i just fillet,skin and de-bone em, crum and season and there good to go!!!