Flurocarbon as main line

Spooooled

depends what your using it for. If for kingies then id just use it as a leader i doubt it would make that much difference 90 per cent of the time, but if you are throwing lures at bream in clear water i think it makes a difference and i have one spool that is 4lb flouro the whole way through and another that is 8lb the whole way for flatties in clear water

When I started using fluro leader I noticed an immediate increase in hookup, especially whiting , but I really cant see any benefit to spooling all the way with it. If youre worried about the joint knot thru your guides just work out how far you can cast add acouple of metres then join there. I dont know but I imagine it wouldnt be as free flowing as braid or even mono as it is a lot stiffer so probably wouldnt cast as far. I only ever use a couple of metres and find no problem casting with the knot coming half way back down the rod. Just gotta get the right knot.

Best fishes,

Craig.

Thanks alot kookaburra

The last two weeks I have had a disaster with wind knots using 6lb fireline and sunline pe. Fireline was so bad I ruined a whole spool, it knotting up off the reel before it hit the water!

I was so desperate I used the mono backing to flick a few and it was smooth as silk and pain free.

Moral of the story is I will be switching to fluoro next week. Will keep braid for the boat and only 10lb and up.

Anyone else have a similar experience while spinning with braid?

Edited by tasksta

I have had a bit of the same experience - but this seems to be fixed when you "underspool" the reel with braid. Fishing from land you don't need heaps - 100m on top of your mono is more than enough - but keep the reel "lean" (i.e. mine look amatuerish in the sense that they are well underspooled). The braid counteracts any loss in casting distance you might experience. Not sure if that helps - but it's worked for me.

The last two weeks I have had a disaster with wind knots using 6lb fireline and sunline pe. Fireline was so bad I ruined a whole spool, it knotting up off the reel before it hit the water!

I was so desperate I used the mono backing to flick a few and it was smooth as silk and pain free.

Moral of the story is I will be switching to fluoro next week. Will keep braid for the boat and only 10lb and up.

Anyone else have a similar experience while spinning with braid?

Thanks

i 2nd the underspooling comment. also though, I make sure there are no loops in the line I back on the spool (usually happens when you wind first turn of the handle after previous cast, or if winding on lots of slack line in previous retrieve), I make sure not to cast into the wind (if i do i cast low a fast to minimise drag, ie there is less wind closer to the water), and i started using stiffer line.

i still have some trouble, but much less.

Hey guys just a few tips with lighter braid. I can't help but feel you're all giving up on it too early.

I started using braid a couple of days after I caught the fishing bug. Surprisingly I haven't had too many wind knots except for when I tried to change to Sunline super PE 6lb for the first time.

I started with 4lb Fireline crystal with and shimano sedona FD 2500 on a 7'2 2-4kg Starlo Stix. Run of the mill entry level set up.

From the outset, you have to use a little backing so it doesn't spin around your spool when under heavy load.

Make sure when you connect your braid to your backing, you then wind your braid on under as much pressure as possible. This will ensure the line lays on the reel tightly and then you will be less likely to get loops coming off the spool and nesting your reel.

When you're out there fishing. Have a look down at your reel just before you let rip on a cast to make sure there aren't any loops or tangles... If there is and you cast, most of the time you'll get a birds nest. I learned this the hard way! :074:

Every now and again, troll a lure out the back of the boat and let out about 40m of line (about twice as far as you could ever cast with the wind at your back) and then reel the line back in under tension.

With regards to underspooling... personally i think it's the absolute opposite to what has been mentioned already... If you put too much line on your spool then the loops that cause tangles find it too easy to slip off your spool, especially if you're not paying enough attention to checking the tension of your line every 10-15 casts or so. Slightly underspooling is a good way to avoid this. I learned this when I changed over to super sunline PE. I put a little too much backing on my CI4 1000 spool and then tried to fit the whole spool of sunline over the top. The first 5 sessions i had with this line gave me the shit big time... I almost binned the lot, but because i'm a tight arse, i did some reading on the forums and found out what the problem was. Now i love using it for fishing around bridges and moorings with 4-6lb leader and 1gm jig heads for bream.

You haven't really mentioned what brands or models of reels you're all using which may have a lot to do with it. Whilst you don't have to spend big dollars on a reel that will cast braid well, The newer designs help with this. For eg, the :wife: uses a shimano Sienna ($40 i think)... and even when she was learning to fish with lures, never had a problem fishing with 6lb FINS braid. She's alot better now and it's great because i don't have to stop fishing every 10mins to help her out. I've said it before on this site, but i'm pretty sure i'm the luckiest man in the world.

A mate of mine just went through a similar problem with his sedona 2500 FB. The spool was an old shape, and kept getting knots with braid. But on the new Sedona FD which i bought, the edge of the spool is about 45 degrees which helps the line come of the spool more smoothly. He ended up getting a Daiwa legalis the other day, but I mentioned the newer Sedona to show that you don't need to pay a higher price, it just pays to update gear in the same price range.

Even though i love fishing with braid, I won't fish wine sunline super pe when it's anymore than 10knots of wind. I stick to the fireline and fireline exceed as it's a little stiffer and easier to manage when fishing lighter jig heads and hardbodies.

My lines of choice at the moment are 3lb Fireline which have caught bonitio, a rat king and 71cm Flathead on it with 6lb fluoro leader. Sunline super PE 6lb when there's no wind. And glad that 4lb fins braid keeps my mrs in the boat fishing with me. A lot of people speak highly of fins braid, and the good thing is, it's not that expensive.

Hope i didn't come across as a know it all, but i had a lot of similar thoughts to you guys when I first started fishing. I'm glad i persisted because i can feel way more bites fishing braid with a rod length leader than i ever could when fishing lures with mono.

Either way, good luck and tight lines.

Jet

Great advice!

I was bream fishing over the weekend and changed to 6lb vanish leader from 14lb I use for flatties, this seemed to help. Also removed a heap of braid and much much better now its underspooled. Still get the odd loop but has been roaring wind EVERY outing lately.

By the way I'm using 6lb sunline pe on okuma trio 20.

Hope this helps someone!

Great advice!

I was bream fishing over the weekend and changed to 6lb vanish leader from 14lb I use for flatties, this seemed to help. Also removed a heap of braid and much much better now its underspooled. Still get the odd loop but has been roaring wind EVERY outing lately.

By the way I'm using 6lb sunline pe on okuma trio 20.

Hope this helps someone!

any luck on the bream?

Yes! :thumbup:

Been to Swansea a few times now and have it sussed.

Have to say as soon as I reduced the leader my hook ups increased.

Would defo not use any more than 6lb for bream.

Got a beautilful 35cm bream, dropped another larger one plus plenty of undersized to keep me busy.

Was only out for an hour with the MRS, I think an earlier start with better bait would produce some awesome fish.