Catching Mullet

dat111

hello all,

2 questions:

1. what is the best bait for mullet catching them of a rod and fell what pound line and size hook becuase me and my cousin have found a spot with ALOT of mullet and there probley only 4inches so hopefully you's will be able to tell me how to catch more of them.

2. we found a spot where there were getting attacked they had weight but then it would go dead any thoughts it might have been?

thanks dat

Edited by dat111

hello all,

2 questions:

1. what is the best bait for mullet catching them of a rod and fell what pound line and size hook becuase me and my cousin have found a spot with ALOT of mullet and there probley only 4inches so hopefully you's will be able to tell me how to catch more of them.

2. we found a spot where there were getting attacked they had weight but then it would go dead any thoughts it might have been?

thanks dat

Forget the line and use a trap. put in some bread and watch em all flow in.

live-bait-008_182.jpg

I catch mullet on a very light rod and light tackle... I love how they fight for their size, occasionally doing some acrobatics.

Well my setup aint exactly light... size 2000 reel with 10lb fireline... rod is 6'6. I just uni-uni knot to some light leader line, attach 3 hooks on them, add a floaty... the length should be up to 50cm from the lowest hook to the float.

Buy the smallest hooks possibly, I use size 12 hooks, and bend the hook to increase the gap. Because the mullet's mouth is so small, they have trouble swallowing the entire hook, you just have to hope they bite that point of the hook.

I make my own bread dough for bait, simply mix flour with water, add some salt, sugar and butter to it. Look up some bread making recipes. If you are lazy just get some slices of bread, and a small amount of water and make a dough out of it, add some butter or tuna oil to keep it together.

As for berley, I throw out some very small pieces of bread, I prefer throwing out just the bread crusts. Make sure they float so you can see the boil-up.

Now a little trick to get them interested in your bait is, cast beyond the schooling fish and reel in fast over them,(A white float is useful for this and they will chase your float).

As soon as you are above the school let it sink, you will get hooked up if they like your bait.

One last thing, they feed only during daytime.

I find the best way to catch them on a rod is to have a leader of 4lb about 2 meters long and use a float I only fish with the leader I berley up with bread and use a long shank hook as small as posibily{12} and use small bits of chicken as bait catch plenty all the time or you could use a trap but sometimes they can be very spooky and will not enter

• 5 years later...
Guest Aussie007

Any1 know if circle hooks are good for mullet? I keep missing strikes under my float so was thinking of using a bubble float with a tiny as circle hook so as they take it they get hooked

when u see the mullet dragging your float give the rod a yank mullet only mouth the bait, sit on a wharf dangle a bait and see how they suck on baits it'll give u an indication when to strike

Guest Aussie007

the poddys will mouth the bait and try swim off with it just lift your rod if u dont set the hook wait for another chance, use a hook from a sabiki jig they are razor sharp and tiny this should increase your catch rate

Guest Aussie007

i donno mate but back in the day 20 years ago as a young kid i was using a float with a sinker below and a single hook over the top of a treble and u bait the single hook but its illegal now and probably was back than too so i suggest u dont use this method back than it was called jagging

i did see a guy at chipping norton lake about a month ago with a unique rig, it had 3 running hooks and the 4th hook tied on i think the legal limit is 4 hooks per line he had this under a float around 60cm deep and he bunched up the hooks together than wrapped bread around it, the bloke was pulling in a mullet every 10mins and they were hooking them selfs one mullet would have had to been 45cm+ i'd say closer to 50cm mark, was close to the last full moon right on a high tide change