Tricks of the trade

AGonzalez04

Hello there,

I've recently gotten into fishing and have enjoyed it immensely. I love going out with my mates, the excitement and mystery involved within the whole fishing process. The problem is, I know close to nothing about anything of the technical side of fishing, and that is why I am asking for any help what so ever.

We use cheap, crappy rods and have ended up disappointing us by breaking and letting us down. What I am looking for is for someone to teach me all the ins and outs of rods, lines, hooks, sinkers, swivels, even up to the knots. To sum it up, pretty much everything. I would also like to know where are the best places to fish in sydney.

Any advice, tips or brands about anything will help heaps.

Regards

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the most adictive pastime (for me anyway)

1.The most important thing I can advise you on is get friendly with your

local tackle store (support them & they will support you).

2.Dont go overboard with your purchases to start with, it will come on its own

(trust me when I say this)

3.Target specific species, tick them off your bucket list. Then try & improve overtime.

Hope this helps.

cheers

zed.

mate we all started at were your at first thing to get is good quality fishing line 6 lb to 8 lb spider wire braid would be a good place to start and some 10 lb and 20 lb mono leader

don't upgrade your reels or rods just yet untill you find out what fish rocks your boat :biggrin2:

now you need a berly pot so keep all your left over bait and prawn shells and heads and mince it all mix with bread crumbs and tuna oil and freeze in plastic bags [make shore they will fit into the berly pot]

next time you go fishing start with the smallest hook you have and free float it down the berly trail with no or very little weight and a pilly fillet or peeled prawn on it keep free spooling it tillit stops then slowly retreave and start all over again

there is no magic spots they all produce fish at one time you just have to be there at the right time :biggrin2:

you will proberly catch yakkas with the rig i mentioned but also everything else in fact i often fish for rat kings with the same rig and have a heap off fun on 6lb good luck and let us all know how you go cheers gary

Thanks heaps for both of your advice.

brickman I have no intended fish I wanna catch, just the biggest of what syndey has to offer :thumbup: (e.g. bream, flathead) so maybe you know of a decent rod for these type of fish? also thanks heaps for the berly tip, will definitely try that next time i go. you say start with the smallest hook with little to no weight, whats the best method of attaching my hook? meaning what knot is good or if i do use a sinker, where do i attach it and so forth?

regards

aaron

Hi Aaron, we've all started fishing and had to learn how to catch the various species, like flathead and bream. Today, beginners have all the information at their fingertips (internet). Don't complicate things to start with, simply use the gear you have, as many fish are not hard to catch. Brickman has given you some good advice about the berley trail and putting a bait with a hook in it into the berley trail. Try with no weight first and if necessary put a small running sinker on then attach your hook. There are plenty of videos to show you how to attach braid and leader together and how to attach a hook to the leader and you can access these via Google. None of it is difficult to learn and once you have those basic skills you will catch plenty of fish and enjoy the experience, like the rest of us do. The only other thing you need to do is practice your new skills. Good luck, Neil.

:biggrin2: there a link at the top off the page called knots that has all the info you need for knots

smallest hook[black fish hook] sinker [split shot] how farfrom the hook for the spilt shot 600mm or two feet

you can use a small swivel for the conection from mainline [braid]to leader[mono] how long should the leader be around 1 meter with the swivel you can put your sinker above the swivel and use the swivel as a stopper so the sinker doesn't run down to your hook

mate regarding rods something with a light tip rated at the line weight your useing the above rigs are bread and butter rigs for bream and flattys go forth young grass hopper and hone your skills :biggrin2: this is the first step in a little thing i call the food chain effect but we'll get to that in the near future cheers gary

sinkers are by weight you can get a round sectioned off plastic container with all the size split shot in it very handy[split shot are round with a split in them use plyers to crimp not your teeth] as for hooks lundric or black fish hooks are around the smallest and your average bream hook would be a 2 o you proberly don't need anything over a 4 o remember small hooks can catch big fish circle hooks are good as they self set but remember not to try to set the hook if your useing circles you will just rip it out off the fishes mouth

bait;;; servo bait is crap get the best bait you can;;;prawns hawksberry praws are ok but fresh is best meaning not frozen ;;;pillys wa pillys are ok but there are pillys from eden that are better;;;;bonito are a top flatty bait as is mullet;;

live nippers or blood worms are by far the best bait for bream and crabs cut in half are a close second

bait gathering is part and parsel off fishing fresh squid is also a great bait but once it has been frozen unless done properly its crap servo squid is total crap even from the fish market once squid has touched ice or fresh water it's crap

berly mix;;;mince a block off pillys 4kg and add a bag off bread crumbs a bag off polard or bran add tuna oil two cupps and freeze

there is also a great bait in doe get a fresh loaf off high top bread and pull out every thing and nead in you hands with a splash off water till its like play doe do'nt use the crust but use crust for berly you can mix all sorts off things with it like old cheese and cotton wool but i like to keep it simple doe is self berlying and great for bream

cheers gary

Also, Gary, or to anyone in general, what are the different sizes of hooks, sinkers and swivels? and how do i interpret them when i look in the shops?

Hook sizes; the number get smaller as the hook gets bigger, until you reach 1. Then the sizes have /0 added, and the number gets bigger as the size gets bigger. ie.

from smaller to larger ... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 etc.

Edited by hrgh

thanks very much high, so what would be the average size for recreational fishing for example?

Depends on what you are trying to catch. Buy a book, or talk to the guy in your local tackle store.

You're asking about basic gear, the best thing you can do is visit a local tackle store and have a chat. They'll give advise about local spots too.

Hrgh

Hello there,

I've recently gotten into fishing and have enjoyed it immensely. I love going out with my mates, the excitement and mystery involved within the whole fishing process. The problem is, I know close to nothing about anything of the technical side of fishing, and that is why I am asking for any help what so ever.

We use cheap, crappy rods and have ended up disappointing us by breaking and letting us down. What I am looking for is for someone to teach me all the ins and outs of rods, lines, hooks, sinkers, swivels, even up to the knots. To sum it up, pretty much everything. I would also like to know where are the best places to fish in sydney.

Any advice, tips or brands about anything will help heaps.

Regards

Aaron.

Hi Aaron.

If you are just starting I would not recomend you use braid.Braid is good in the correct situation but it can be a bugger to get used to for a novice fisherman what with birds nests,knots,wind knots etc.Just get 8lb mono and that would handle most fish you are going to catch as a beginner,ie Bream,Flatties etc.

Regards

Stuart.

Hi Aaron,

I can say that the advice that Gary (Brickman) has given you certainly works, I know first hand because this is the advice he gave me and helped me out so much .... good on you Gary :thumbup: That's what makes this site so great, so many experienced fishos only too willing to share their hard earnt knowledge :thumbup::thumbup:

The food chain effect is the way to go for sure :thumbup:

Good luck

Regards

Ian