How to tie the Green weed fly

luderick -angler

Hook - Mustard 540S number 8 or similar

Thread - Nuetral or Green Gel Spun Thread

Material - Green Glister Dubbing or similar

Method

1. Place the hook in the vice and begin wrapping the thread from the eye down to for about a quater of the shank length lap over the tag end and wrap back towards the eye cut off the excess tag.

2. Take some of the dubbing and place on the top of the hook palce two tight turns to secure.

3. Take the end of the material at the eye end and fold over the eye towards the point of the hook. Hold this in place and secure the material with three tight turns.

4. Tie of the thread either with a whip finish or a double half hitch.

5. Secure the thread with a drop of claer nail varnish or fly tying head cement

6. Dress the hook by taking the strands of dubbing as you would a bait and plaint them roughly around the hook, then take some scisors and cut off the excess leaving a 1 inch tail.

YOUR DONE!!!!!!!!! Now fish this with some burley under your favourite float or fly rod! Its a great stndby when there is no weed about or your at your favourite spot and see the luderick grazing but have no weed! Also great when the yare feeding like mad and don't care what you give them!

Pics below to help you tie!

post-5131-018507600 1324845155_thumb.jpg

post-5131-076041300 1324845198_thumb.jpg

post-5131-050760000 1324845241_thumb.jpg

Excellent, Royce! Great tutorial! I must get my green flies out & give it a whirl again soon! Unfortunately I damaged my groin when I slipped trout fishing last weekend & it is a pain to walk!! :(1badmood.gif

Look forward to catching up one day!!

cheerio

Roberta

Great write up,

I have blackfish gear and have never tried it out. I lived at The Entrance in the 50s and they would fish in front of guest houses and catch heaps. My question is were do you get the materials? do you get it from a fly fishing shop.

You now have made me very keen to try.

I was talking to my local tackle store and it came up in a conversation and i actually picked some pre made ones up for $2 each I am yet to try them, will be using them this Friday. The tackle store is in Penrith, Australian Bass Angler.

Edited by ultramitefish