New fishing rules from 3/11/14

Geoff

16 new rules come into force from November. For salt water fish'os this is the main change.

" Saltwater A daily bag limit of 10 for the following commonly caught species: Flathead (other than Dusky Flathead), Bream and Tarwhine, Tailor, Blue Swimmer Crab, Trevallies and Luderick.

A total possession limit to remain at 20 for the above species.

Currently , Daily bag limit of 20 , Possession limit of 20.

Two crab traps and four witches hats/hoop/lift nets per person will be allowed.

One crab trap and five witches hats/hoop/lift nets permitted."

For the whole list , click onto this web site

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/changes-to-recreational-fishing-rules-commencing-3-november-2014

Geoff

Hi Raiders

I just wanted someone to tell me what possesion limits mean.I am assuming if you caught say 20 luderick kept them alive in the net then did a tally at the end of the session and only kept the best 10 size wise.Would this be okay?.

Steve

Bag limit = number of fish that an individual angler can catch and keep in a 24 hour period

Possession limit = the maximum number of fish that a person is allowed to have in their possession at any time (this include the fish in the freezer at home caught on previous outings)

Hi Raiders

I just wanted someone to tell me what possesion limits mean.I am assuming if you caught say 20 luderick kept them alive in the net then did a tally at the end of the session and only kept the best 10 size wise.Would this be okay?.

Steve

Possession is at ANY time whether kept alive or dead from my understanding.

If your bag limit on a fish is ten and you catch your 11th, you must either realese 1 of the baged live one's go and keep the 1 you just caught or vice versa.

Having a bag limit of say 10 and keeping 20 for you to decide later which to keep is certainly not a good idea.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Bag limit = number of fish that an individual angler can catch and keep in a 24 hour period

Possession limit = the maximum number of fish that a person is allowed to have in their possession at any time (this include the fish in the freezer at home caught on previous outings)

yes... a little known and very obscure rule this one.

I would not be likely to break this rule as I usually eat fish fresh and only freeze portions of something like a larger kingfish.

But you would have to ask how in the hell would they ever police this?

Have you ever been asked by a fisheries inspector ...

" Nice Catch Buddy but how many fish have you got in the freezer at home?"

"None?"

"OK .... best be coming back to your place for a look! Just wait a minute while I take the boat back to base and get my car.... "

"What's your address again?"

Edited by fragmeister

Bag limits where ok. It is the size that is the issue. Bream 25cm really come on,luderick27cm to 30cm etc leave the bag limits the same. Crabs 6cm small change to 8cm no females to be taken at all. Ban witches hat traps, that was the reason for looking at crabs because turtles get caught in them. Have never seen a turtle in Lake Ilawarra ever. These are all mainly summer fish not winter. People complain they cant catch them, it is no use trying to catch crabs in the middle of winter when the water temp is low. like trying to catch mahi mahi in winter. The old saying 10%of people catch 90% of the fish true but they put the wok in to understand what is happening out on the water Not just turn up at the place and expect to catch fish, then complain there are no fish.

It doesn't surprise me that our society is becoming closer and closer to totalitarianism.

George Orwell was right and he was not even a fisho.

He may have got the year wrong of 1984 but otherwise his predictions are unfolding.

The thought police will get us if no-one else does.

The simple answer is to leave things as they are and employ more fisheries officers to police our waterways and to audit people who buy black market fish.

It would create emplyment and manage our fish stocks better this way, rather than creating a 'one size fits all" rule that impacts innocent fishos who catch fish for the table...

No amount of disgruntlement will change things.

Oh well, another slap to the face but like ever optimistic people, we continue on our merry way.

Question is, how much longer will the way be merry...?

Time will tell...

"it is no use trying to catch crabs in the middle of winter when the water temp is low."

I've caught some of the biggest crabs I've seen in winter. Just have to know when/where to go. I was a non believer also until I was shown by a friend who is a mad crab chaser. Try night time, full moon and run in tide, you will be pleasantly surprised!

This possession 'fish in freezer' or fish in posession at home is news to me.

So I shouldn't be able to go down the fish monger and buy more than my possession allowance?? What if I'm having a Dinner party or cooking for friends?

Spot on.

I don't believe that Fish purchased from the fish shop count.

What if my son caught all the fish in the freezer... And I caught my possession limit and put them in the freezer the next time I went out solo?

This is an unpoliceable law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by fragmeister

• 3 weeks later...

All the millions and millions of dollars spent by fishos in fishing and they have the hide to make it difficult to enjoy a past time,, I was thinking about buying a boat but this news has made me think against it..politicians must not have a life to keep coming up with reasons to stop everything that people enjoy doing...next it will be 10 fish to 5 then 5 fish to BANNED!!! I'm sick of it!!! Rant over...

So, recreational bag limit of sand flatties goes from 20 -> 10.

Meanwhile, in commercial land:

http://www.setfia.org.au/fish-stocks/item/plenty-of-fish-in-the-sea-again.html

"Plenty of fish in the sea. (Again).

Quotas for the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery's (SESSF) 2014/15 fishing year commencing on May 1 have been announced. Quotas increased between 2013/14 and 2014/15 by 816 tonnes or 4%. TACs are set through an exhaustive process that starts with CSIRO completing stock assessments on each stock. These assessments the pass through the Resource Assessment Group (RAG), the management advisory committee (MAC), the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) before finally reaching the Commonwealth Fisheries Commission where this advice is considered and a final decision is made.

Six stocks have increased year on year; blue grenadier, flathead, pink ling, ribaldo, royal red prawns and saw shark."

By and large reccos must be the biggest suckers on the planet.

The science says flathead stocks are rising, the commercial quota is increased, and the rec bag limit is reduced.