Do You Need A Boat Licence?

mark10187

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Here's the link you need, mate:

Boat licence

Cheers

Hodgey

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Here's the link you need, mate:

Boat licence

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks for that mate was quite confused some people have told me that it depended on the size of the boat motor or the boat

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Nov 21 2009, 08:31 AM) 331292[/snapback]

I understand that motor size over 5hp requires the boat to be registered,probably where the confusion arose.

Dave.

The requirement for a boat registration is the same as the requirement for a license, i.e. if the boat can travel at a speed of 10 knots or more it is required to be registered.