Newbie Question: Is It Legal To Park The Trailer And Boat On Street - Given It's Legal Parking Area For Normal Cars

jamesyjf

I am tempt to buy a boat, but have no place to put it. I saw people park their trailer and boat on street. But I still want to make sure if it's legal to park the trailer and boat on street - given it's legal parking area for normal cars? Thanks!

You can get wheel clamps from repco, or a device that fits over your trailer hitch and locks down.

Both would be nice.

A Smith & Wesson sticker on the back of the boat that states your American right to bear arms also helps.

Cheers

Stumpy

Edited by stumpy

Can depend where you live- some stratas specifically ony allow registered vehicles in there parking spots not trailers.

Double check with your council if it is an on street parking space. Some councils have a ruling about trailers over 6m (I think or was it 4.5) in length in their fine print being parked on the street and can fine you if they receive complaints. Speak with the rangers department. This is especially the case with some inner cty councils. The other thing to note is that many insurers won't cover you if boat is not parked securely on your property so check with an insurance company as well. Check with your insurer what happens if your boat and trailer are hit on the street when not attached to a car and whether any 3rd party personal ( ie green slip if it were a car) applies or are you liable. Beware of chaining it to a tree as well as the chain can be a trip hazard.

There was a big stink about trailers being left on streets near the Rose Bay ramp when not attached to cars. Not sure of the end result but the council took some action and also changed signs.

Pel

PS. After all that yes I do have one parked on the street and it is chained to a telegraph pole with a wheel clamp and hitch protector but take my neighbours out now and then to keep everyone happy. Insured but I would probably struggle in some claims.

Also be aware that it is illegal to chain them to a lamp post, as they are council property.

I had a neighbour that didn't like the boat or any thing really, complain to council.

The ranger came around and told me not to do it again! Or atleast wait untill he got to the end of the road. :074:

Robbie.

Hey Rob the funny thing is it depends on what road but generally all the poles etc are owned by the electricity companied etc and that is why they don't remove all the posters and stuff off them. At least you foud a Ranger who at least made the effort to speak with you. Might have got you for a footpath obstruction or something but bluntly it is not his pole generally and even road signs and verges on major roads are not council, RTA contractors mow and maintain them.

The council are obliged to act on complaints but the other 99% of time they are happy to just let stuff be as they don't have time.

About 6 months ago I came home to 4 guys with shovels digging my boat trailer and another guy walking towards it with the bolt cutters. About to get the shotty out when I realised it was Elect pole maintainance guys who check for termites. Nice enough blokes and they generall just nip the chain at the last link and move the trailer if they had to after knocking on a couple of doors. Oh well at least they confirmed my pole was solid and 2 were mad keen boaters as well who hate having to touch others stuff but hate rangers and hassle even more. So my hint is to pick a steel pole not a wood one- ha ha

Edited by pelican