Gutting Flounders/ Filleting Flaties

busted

have caught a few decent 30-40cm flounders down botney bay in recent times

can anyone give me any tips on gutting these thin buggers have attempted it just cutting down behind the head and down on an a angle past the guts of the fish, then flipping the fish and slicing down either side of the guts and scrapping it out, any tips would be appreciated

another quick query, whats the best way to fillet a flathead

G'day busted

There are some good videos showing how to fillet flathead on YouTube.

Do a search for “filleting flathead” – there are heaps.

As for flounder, I’ve caught (and cleaned) a few over the years. You can see some of my best here: My flounder pbs

Flounder, along with whiting are probably my favourite fish to eat.

However, I can’t easily put it into words how to best clean/gut them. Now if I had one in front of me… One thing is, if it’s a female, make sure you pull out the roe from under the backbone - it can be a tricky bit of surgery.

Cheers

Peter

Firstly snip the bottom of the gill line and remove the gills, which in turn detaches the lower half of the head from the body. Then using scissor angled slightly, insert it where the head was cut straight down following the body cavity. I only cut down the under side of the fish (white)... Break the joint which attaches the pectoral fins with the spine by opening flaps larger. Then insert finger and scrape out guts... use knife run down the bloodline and wash.

• 2 weeks later...

if it’s a female, make sure you pull out the roe from under the backbone - it can be a tricky bit of surgery.

Cheers

Peter

when u talk about the roe what is that?

cheers for the advise guys never thought of checking youtube haha

i guess practice makes perfect

• 3 years later...