Daiwa reel anti reverse slipping

Hey Raiders,

My trusty Daiwa Luvias 2000 DA Custom is starting to play up.

Under fairly average drag, mid fight, the anti reverse slips intermittently, then locks back.

After reading an old post, it looks like the cause is most likely over lubrication.

I haven't serviced the reel, so not sure how it would have got over lubricated.

For someone that's never serviced a spin reel, would you have a go, or take it somewhere to be serviced?

If it's take it somewhere, where would you recommend?

Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Hi. Your problem is the anti reverse cam. The anti reverse is not engaging enough. Either the anti reverse lever is not all the way engaged or the cam needs to be bent over to engage the anti reverse a little more.

Check the lever is all the way over otherwise if you can take the reel apart it's a simple fix. Just bend the part over so it engages the anti reverse some more. Holding the end with pliers and twisting the other end is the best way. Don't go too far or it won't disengage.

In the diagram below the part you need to bend is number 57.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/LUVIAS-DA-CUSTOM-1000-3000.pdf

I'd check the anti reverse bearing (titled 'roller clutch' on the schematic) before bending levers or otherwise messing with the engineering of a good reel.

With use, lubricants in reels move around, change viscosity, get into places they're not meant to be etc. Diawa AR bearings seem particularly sensitive and just the slightest excess of lubricant will make them slip. If you're confident to pull apart and then rebuild your reel it should be easy to check if this is the problem. Once you get the AR bearing out, just give the pins a very careful wipe over with a clean, lint-free cloth (don't use tissue or cotton buds if you can help it as the fibres can get caught in the pins). This will take of the excess surface lube and I'll be really surprised if it doesn't fix the problem. You don't need or want to remove all the lube but all the bearing needs is a 'film'.

If you're not confident rebuilding your reel don't even attempt it. To get to the AR bearing you'll need to expose and remove some of the guts of the reel and the main drive bearing and anti-revese assembly. Lots of parts. And be super careful with the AR bearing... if you lose a pin, you'll need to replace the whole bearing.

Cheers, Slinky

Edited by slinkymalinky
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies Roylo & Slinkymalinky.

To be honest, I really don't feel confident, considering I'd have to get into the guts of the reel.

With that in mind, who & where would you recommend I take the reel for a service.

What kind of costs should I anticipate?

I appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Chris

I'd check the anti reverse bearing (titled 'roller clutch' on the schematic) before bending levers or otherwise messing with the engineering of a good reel.

I'd be very surprised if over greasing of the anti reverse bearing is causing the problem seeing that the reel has never been opened or serviced from new. Not only that but those bearings are supposed to be lubed. Lube does not make them slip, as the way they work, the more pressure is put on them the tighter they get. The only way over greasing can make it slip is if there is so much grease in there its holding/ sticking the rollers away from the turning part.

I just don't see that happening on its own.

I've seen this problem before with these reels and I'm almost sure the cam needs to be re bent back into the correct position to properly engage the anti reverse. It's not messing with the engineering of the reel or any crude modification. It's just aligning the cam to it's original position.

Over time, with use the cam has a tendency to slightly bend out of original shape and not fully engage the anti reverse, that's why its needs to be bent back again. It's a very minor movement, probably no more than 1mm.

Another way to explain what is happening with his reel is if you get a new reel and hold the anti reverse switch at half way and try using it.

Probably Daiwa would be the best place to take it for fixing, but it's a shame to do that as it's such a simple fix.

Hi. Your problem is the anti reverse cam. The anti reverse is not engaging enough. Either the anti reverse lever is not all the way engaged or the cam needs to be bent over to engage the anti reverse a little more.

Check the lever is all the way over otherwise if you can take the reel apart it's a simple fix. Just bend the part over so it engages the anti reverse some more. Holding the end with pliers and twisting the other end is the best way. Don't go too far or it won't disengage.

In the diagram below the part you need to bend is number 57.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/LUVIAS-DA-CUSTOM-1000-3000.pdf

Plus 1 for Roylo's comments - I had a similar problem on one of my Daiwa Airities - years ago

• 2 years later...

I've just had a similar problem. Not anti reverse slippage. My anti-reverse stopped working while fishing - wouldn't switch back on.

After stripping the whole reel down. I had enough parts off to see the problem - the little lever that switches anti-reverse on and off had cracked. A hairline crack but enough to let it slip on its spindle.

If I'd known to look hard enough, this could have been diagnosed and been temporarily fixed in the field and without any disassembly.  I've turned the anti-reveres back on with a pair of pliers so I can fish today.

So, just in case anyone else winds up here with a similar problem. Check the lever is still good and then start pulling the reel apart or send it off for repair if still needed!

Edited by HenryR