EPIRB Expiry

vo2c88

Hey guys just wondering what the go is with the expiry date on an epirb and how to rectify. Is it a matter of changing a battery through a dealer or is the unit expired and a replacement required?

Cheers Vo2c88

If you want to chat with us, can advise, as there is a few questions I would ask, brand, type, etc.

To answer a bit more simplistically, mine is due now, along with about 5 others I purchased at the time.

The cost to replace the battery is not much less than purchasing a brand new unit with a 10 year warranty.

I will be doing a bulk purchase at the start of June

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Interested in the response as to which type to get. GME KTI or other. And what is a reasonable price. I know 121mhz is no longer used and I require one for over 2nm from shore and I hope I never need an outlet deploying unit so I'll look got manual. But are there any recommendations. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

• 2 weeks later...

to dispose of an old EPIRB, you need to disconnect the battery, so it cant accidentally go off.

What i did with ours, undo the top, cut the wires to the battery, threw it out in 2 pieces.

There is an agreement with one of the Battery Chain stores to drop the units off. However my understanding is they charge you now for that service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk