Old School Reel

ambrose607

G'day Raiders,

I was looking through my late father's fishing gear and came across this reel. My estimation is it's about

35-40 years old. It has no brand name or markings on it, which makes me think it's a home made job.

The 2 red handles are made from a material similar to Bakelite. The backing plate and spool are made

of aluminium. All the screws, nuts, washers and centre pin are brass (not a spot of rust anywhere). It looks

as though it has been made from a cast with a few decorative lines on the front and back, probably done

by lathe. It doesn't turn sideways for casting so probably just dropped over the side of a boat or wharf into

deep water. The small brass knob on the back looks like some sort of drag. The tighter you turn it the more

it pushes the metal strip into the holes. Just thought I'd share this find with you guys as I thought it was a

nice piece of engineering for its time.

post-36174-0-09767600-1432617213_thumb.jpg post-36174-0-73441400-1432617951_thumb.jpg

post-36174-0-55388000-1432617319_thumb.jpg post-36174-0-75945200-1432618221_thumb.jpg

Ambrose607

:beer5:

Looks like your spot on Luderick-angler. I googled railway work shop reels and for sure that's what it is. Also found a guy in QLD who has a antique fishing museum with a section for the railway reels. I've sent him some pictures and waiting on his reply. Will let you know what he says. Fishraider members are a bundle of information i knew that if I put up some pics someone would steer me in the right direction. Thanks.