Kingfish in smoker

Benzeenees

I've tried smoking kingfish before using a recipe for smoked salmon. The result looked OK but seemed a bit dry. So today I'm trying a different approach. Firstly I got the smoker really smoking without any water in the water tray. Then I turned the heat right down and put the water tray in. Waited another 10 minutes for the water to come up to temperature, then put in the fillets. These had been brined overnight, dried and coated with brown suger and chili powder. I'm giving them 40 minutes in the smoke. They should be finished in about 10 minutes!

It's smoking like a steam engine at 200F which is about 90C. The fillets will be hot smoked at this temperature.

Years ago I did a lot of trout fishing and regularly caught some large browns up to 3.5kg. Tried hot smoking which was good. But at the time I was working as a TAFE teacher and one of my fishing mates was a plumbing teacher. He made me a cold smoker out of 2 x 14 gallon drums. We used to cold smoke the browns for up to 24 hours. Beautiful! I've also hot smoked tailor and Aussie salmon. Smoked tailor is wonderful and the salmon isn't bad either. I've also done bonito which is good.

Edited by Benzeenees

All i do to my kings is knock the fillets off

Make a 70/30 mix of brown sugar and salt

Rub the mix over the fillets and leave in fhe fridge for 3hrs

Then take them out of fridge and smoke thrm for 10-15min

IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Edited by Framedtrash