Australian Salmon, Good Eating?

nik

Hi all,

Caught my very first salmon (55cm) today in the Hacking, it put up a great fight.

I just wanted to know if they are good eating and if so what's the best way to cook it.

Thanks,

Nik

Hi all,

Caught my very first salmon (55cm) today in the Hacking, it put up a great fight.

I just wanted to know if they are good eating and if so what's the best way to cook it.

Thanks,

Nik

'

If bled and cleaned immediately they taste alright if shallow fried, cut into either fillets or cutlets.

fish cakes are the only way to eat them. you have to cut all of the blood out of the fillets.

there are many different recipes for the fish cakes and i believe some are on this site. you basically disguise how horrible they taste with a heap of ingredients, but the fish cakes taste good as fish burgers.

Edited by frangkie

Ive said it many a time Australian Salmon are fine to eat as long as they are prepared properly. Bleed them and you can make a great curry, shallow fried as mentioned above. But my all time fav is wacking a fillet off it coat it in brown sugar and salt and smoke that bad boy in the smoker!!

Im sure Roberta and a couple others will agree

I agree with Kiwi.... I bleed them immediately then drop them in a slurry of ice and saltwater in my esky and they taste fine. The flesh is a bit soft so I wouldn't have it as Sashimi but they're good babecued or grilled and they taste a whole lot better than most people say. I think that's because a lot of people eat them after leaving them lying around in the sun for an hour or two on the beach or the bottom of the boat.

They're fantastic smoked too!!

Cheers, Slinky

Icky them and chuck them in an ice slurry.

Fillet and debone

Fry on a skillet add salt pepper

and serve.

I often serve fish to my mates with two or three different kinds of fish on the same plate.

I ask which they enjoyed the most. Salmon doesn't come last often.

cheers

inhlanzi

When i was travelling around Tasmania there were heaps of fishermen out on the water specifically targetting australian salmon because they love eating them... when i told them that in sydney fisherman will dont rate them as a good eating fish they looked at me funny.... i guess when you have the option to target other better tasting fish species salmon dont appear to be the top choice...

Hi Nik

Along with KiwiDan & slinkymalinky's comments, smaller Aussie Salmon smoke up beautifully! You can also 'scallop' the fillets (skinned & bloodline taken out after being bled immediately upon capture.) Crumbed & quickly panfried - YUM! The secret is not to overcook them .... which I think is what most folk do.

However, having said that ..... there are better tasting fish in the sea & if you have had some fun catching them & already have one on ice, perhaps just let the others go! :1prop:

Hey Tumra - I wonder if the Tassies were referring to Atlantic Salmon rather than Aussie Salmon??? Last year, there was a huge 'escape' of farmed atlantic salmon & the Taswegians were out there in their hundreds, catching them! I think that in some areas, they have become established as a wild fishery now too! :yahoo:

Cheers

Roberta

Caught my first one the other day too, it was the only decent fish on the day so I kept him. From all the crap I heard about the taste I was expecting something horrible but I must say I was suprised they weren't bad. Sure there are better tasting fish but they are certainly not as bad as their reputation. I bled him, put him on ice and cleaned him soon after, ate the fillets off him that night and was quite satisfied. I was extremely satisfied with the fight too!

Edited by yakfishing

Hi all,

Thanks,

Nik

No and no. I don't even let them in the boat.. they smell.

I hate Salmon. :thumbdown:

......they are very strong flavoured though

With Australian salmon the flavour can be tartered up for cooking. The strong flavour has a very savoury early effect. It tastes real deep sea like, seaweedy, squiddy and lovely. You lose control and gulp a few more handfulls down. There's plenty of corked red to wash it down with. You throw caution to the wind, enter the high risk area and take a few more mouthfulls. The early symptoms start. You start to feel uneasy. Gradually a powerfull salty taste begins to form in your saliva. You get the feeling everyone is staring at you when they're not. Your spouse/mate is a wake up, the guests at the table start to fade out of your focal range. You wish to God they were not there. You start to get flushes and find it hard to keep your eyes on one spot at a time. You start to get double vision and shivering. The other patrons seem to have heads like mice. You call the waiter. They never ever see you because they've seen that eye bulge before. There's a cue at the toilets, even the disabled ones are locked. If you try to stand up at the table you know gravity will over ride everything. You quietly reach for your mates handbag raise it a little off the floor and try a muffled cough. Out she comes at high speed at an angle of 45 degrees straight into the handbag. You feel aweful. There is a chain re-action both inside and outside the restaurant. You swear blind you hear chains flushing continuously in the home units upstairs .

Never again you say and that's only half the story of what happens to you if you eat Australian salmon.

Next episode includes kingfish carp hairtail eels and slimys.

In the meantime I'm off to Hawkesbury, hopefully they'll be no Australian salmon there, maybe an eel or too.

The neighbood drain cats have to go maybe I'll give them an eel sushumi, only one'll do, the illness will spread.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Kingys love them, I used to live bait a 1-2kg Kahawai (Salmon) back in NZ as a

teenager and used to get 5-12kg Kingys for my efforts.

However the I havent been able to get an Ausie King to take an Aussie Salmon yet,

maybe they dont taste that good over here. :(

penguin

I love them, one of my favourites if cooked properly.

I cut the head and tail off, season with cajun spice and olive oil, wrap them in silver foil and bake in oven.

However they must be fresh and bled straight after catching them. I also love them cold.

Peterd

Thanks for all the comments :).

As i didn't bleed or ice this fish early, I might do as Dave said and use it for flathead bait this time, but I will definitely bleed and ice the next one I catch and try cooking it up.

Nik :)