Painting Aluminium Boat

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Hi there,

I have a 5 meter Brooker aluminum, and its about 13 or so years old, and the paint is a bit worse for wear. Id like to re-paint, or preferably leave bare, the top surfaces. That is, im not stripping below the water line, or on the outside of the hull even, just the inside and top bits.

Basically, the top parts are a bit shabby, and bubbled and scratched in places.

Ive tested some paint stripper on the paint today, and it comes off really easily. The interesting thing is that there was some sort of undercoat underneath the white top coat. The undercoat was yellow-ish in colour. This left me wondering if this yellow stuff was providing some protection. This concerned me a bit because i really want to strip the top and inside and leave it bare. Does anyone know if i would have to put some sort of clear sealer or protection coat over it? I had assumed that aluminum was rather corrosion resistant?

Im gonna have to get a plastic scraper too, so that i dont scratch the surface of the aluminum. I think that a heavy duty scrubbing brush will help to remove the paint from corners and welds.

As for the possibility of painting the bugger, well, i dont know if i have the talent and tools for the job, let alone the space. I guess i could do it on a weekend at my work car park, and make sure i mask everything... any recommendations for paints?

Cheers,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Captain Ron

Hi there,

I have a 5 meter Brooker aluminum, and its about 13 or so years old, and the paint is a bit worse for wear. Id like to re-paint, or preferably leave bare, the top surfaces. That is, im not stripping below the water line, or on the outside of the hull even, just the inside and top bits.

Basically, the top parts are a bit shabby, and bubbled and scratched in places.

Ive tested some paint stripper on the paint today, and it comes off really easily. The interesting thing is that there was some sort of undercoat underneath the white top coat. The undercoat was yellow-ish in colour. This left me wondering if this yellow stuff was providing some protection. This concerned me a bit because i really want to strip the top and inside and leave it bare. Does anyone know if i would have to put some sort of clear sealer or protection coat over it? I had assumed that aluminum was rather corrosion resistant?

Im gonna have to get a plastic scraper too, so that i dont scratch the surface of the aluminum. I think that a heavy duty scrubbing brush will help to remove the paint from corners and welds.

As for the possibility of painting the bugger, well, i dont know if i have the talent and tools for the job, let alone the space. I guess i could do it on a weekend at my work car park, and make sure i mask everything... any recommendations for paints?

Cheers,

Jon

Yes matey have had many experiences with painting alloy boats. You may use an orbital sander to knock back your paint or paint stripper in the areas where that wont fit . There is a clear coat lacqure on the market that you can buy. Go to your nearest marine paint supplier and ask them . You do know that ally is corosion resistant and it will only go a dull grey if untreated........This is all that will happen.

Yes matey have had many experiences with painting alloy boats. You may use an orbital sander to knock back your paint or paint stripper in the areas where that wont fit . There is a clear coat lacqure on the market that you can buy. Go to your nearest marine paint supplier and ask them . You do know that ally is corosion resistant and it will only go a dull grey if untreated........This is all that will happen.

oh yeh the yellow stuff is only primmer, something for the paint to stick to.