Tough going on the Murrumbidgee

big Neil

So I've managed to get down to the river quite a few times and thought I'd (mentally) compare this season to last season. Two months have passed and that's long enough to start comparing statistics. The season started with a bang with 3 legal Murray Cod from day 1 and 2 combined. This was a very good start and better than the previous year. However, I haven't been able to add to the total, despite having caught dozens of MC which were 2cms undersize. Yellowbelly catches have been higher and some decent sized fish have been taken for a feed. Trout Cod (Blue Nosed Cod)continue to be a regular catch even though they are not the targeted species. The biggest this season was 58cms and this one (pictured) of 48cms. Unfortunately I only have a picture of the smaller fish which was taken on a bunch of shrimps. To summarise...some pluses for this season and some different ones for last season, after 2 months.post-20708-0-96850200-1454412028_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-23465100-1454412057_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-56542900-1454412085_thumb.jpg

Interesting account of the YTD Neil and thanks for including a few river shots.

I think I might have mentioned before that spent a lot of time on that river as a kid.

Just below the Burrinjuck Dam. Talking between 30 and 40 years ago now and back then it was all

trout, redfin and yabbies for the first 10 years and then carp from then on. Can't recall ever catching a native fish!

I guess you are further down?

Let me know where you are so I can pin point you on the mental map for your next report.

Cheers

Jim

[[]post-20708-0-88731200-1454480206_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-06779800-1454480290_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-70321700-1454480381_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-58445100-1454480458_thumb.jpg.jpg]post-20708-0-78302200-1454480112_thumb.jpgCheers Jim. Thanks for taking an interest in the "Bidgee report. I live in Leeton and fish (mainly) between Berembed Weir and Gogelderie Weir...above and below Narrandera downstream towards Whitton. That's an awful lot of water and I still have much to explore, but I'm getting there. Every day is different. Water temp, height, flow and barometric pressure all play a role at different times. SOME DAYS ARE DIAMOND, SOME DAYS ARE...you know the rest. I love it! Here's a few more pics, seeing that you enjoyed them.

Big Neil, have you had a lot of rain in the system. I know that here in the Hawkesbury, the river is as brown as coffee with milk. I know that this has resulted in less fish. :1badmood:

G'day John? (Bessell 1955), we've had a reasonable amount of rain here but not enough to really affect the fishing. One factor that does have an impact (in our region) is how much is released between the different weirs. This often discolours the water more than rainfall. Naturally it has a negative impact on the fishing. Cheers, Neil

[[] IMG_5457small.jpg IMG_5460small.jpg IMG_5465small.jpg IMG_5459small.jpg.jpg] IMG_5445 x50%.jpgCheers Jim. Thanks for taking an interest in the "Bidgee report. I live in Leeton and fish (mainly) between Berembed Weir and Gogelderie Weir...above and below Narrandera downstream towards Whitton. That's an awful lot of water and I still have much to explore, but I'm getting there. Every day is different. Water temp, height, flow and barometric pressure all play a role at different times. SOME DAYS ARE DIAMOND, SOME DAYS ARE...you know the rest. I love it! Here's a few more pics, seeing that you enjoyed them.

Yeah the flows really fluctuate depending on what they let down the tumut which in my opinion is nothing but an irrigation supply canal now! Though when it's low it turns on sensational trout fishing!

Mate awesome stuff love seeing reports of natives! Keep them coming. Murray cod are so pretty they are my new target species on fly! Forget the trout! Lol

G'day Luderick -angler. MC on fly eh...now that would be something special. Please let us all know how you go with that project. Presently I'm trying to improve my catch rates using lures and spinnerbaits. Such a thrill getting smashed by hungry native fish. Cheers, Neil.

post-20708-0-12294900-1454518150_thumb.jpg

Great part of the world you've got there Neil love the river shots. Only time I've seen the bidgee was a few months ago on a work trip to Griffith for then bidgee irrigation authority. Can understand why the release would affect more than rain out your way! Managed to throw a few spinnerbaits round at the Goldie weir but never had a chance haha. Would love to give it another Crack soon the river is so different to my east coast estuaries. Hope it picks up for you mate that's a stunning looking trout cod too!

Great part of the world you've got there Neil love the river shots. Only time I've seen the bidgee was a few months ago on a work trip to Griffith for then bidgee irrigation authority. Can understand why the release would affect more than rain out your way! Managed to throw a few spinnerbaits round at the Goldie weir but never had a chance haha. Would love to give it another Crack soon the river is so different to my east coast estuaries. Hope it picks up for you mate that's a stunning looking trout cod too!

If you're ever out here again let me know and I'll try to put you onto a few Murray Cod. Btw I enjoy fishing the estuaries too, but not driving 7 hours to get there. I am so over driving long distances these days. Cheers, Neil.

Great photos mate. I am an ocean man myslf but spent a lot of time around the inland rivers when young fishing to far too the Beach on my bike.

Spent a lot of time around the Murray and loved the mornings and sunsets unfortunately no fishing at that time.

Cheers Stu

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Great photos mate. I am an ocean man myslf but spent a lot of time around the inland rivers when young fishing to far too the Beach on my bike.

Spent a lot of time around the Murray and loved the mornings and sunsets unfortunately no fishing at that time.

Cheers Stu

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks Stu. I certainly am lucky having so much freshwater to fish in. I love it. Cheers, Neil.

post-20708-0-79419200-1455154347_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-08799500-1455154482_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-26821500-1455154512_thumb.jpgWater levels are low now and a mate and I went out yesterday, chucking spinner baits and lures around. We got 5 Cod (all in excellent condition) up to 70 cms. I went out a few days prior to that and got half a dozen, bait fishing. Oddly there were plenty of good sized shrimp in the river. They've been fairly scarce all Summer. May have to give 'em another visit tomorrow.