NSW Government to force rock fishers to wear lifejackets

Guest Guest123456789

Well the state is in the red and big mal isn't introducing the GST so mike needs to extract money from somewhere. More of these sorts of laws will be introduced, now the speed cameras have been sold to Mac bank there are also moves underway to put them in blind spots and behind trees etc with no warning signs.

I might take up gardening, they can't introduce fines, licences and safety gear for that.

Or I'll keep fishing but just buy the cheapest, Chinese eBay life jacket lookalike that is the least obtrusive/uncomfortable as possible, I don't care if it doesn't work.

Edited by Guest123456789

Well, unfortunately, legislation seems to be necessary to catch the non swimmers and inexperienced rock fisherman.

Personally, I don't like rules meant for the inexperience, uninitiated or inconsiderate being imposed on me but what do you do?

It seems increasingly that people fail to take responsibility for themselves in all facets of life and legislation is introduced to fill in the void.

Having rescued a few people off the rocks and in the surf myself over the years I guess this legislation can only help... quite frankly I hope I am not in the position to

render assistance again because fast approaching 60 years of age I'm not so sure I have in in me anymore!

Cheers

Jim

it's not a bad idea, i've seen plenty of close cases in my day even by experienced rock hoppers but the new breed of hoppers, have no idea what so ever in reading the water and what attire to wear, i see it week in and week out guys turning up to a ledge with joggers on and tracksuit paints and at times knee high gum boots, for the sake of these inexperienced people its probably not a bad idea for compulsary jackets

Edited by nbdshroom
Please leave ethnicity out this

In the article they stated it would be in "high risk area". This would mean that they would need to place signage at these areas. I hope the ledges from Anna bay to Tomaree aren't littered with signs. :(

However, if it saves lives then it can't be a bad thing!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I am in favour of this. I am not a fan of the Nanny State, but the stats are very clear, a high proportion of the deceased fisher-people are immigrants with poor swimming ability and/or experience in salt water conditions. Regulations like these save lives, as annoying as they are for those not in the at-risk community.

Modern life jackets are much less intrusive than they were, so the impact is not that bad. I don't like my freedom being curtailed due to other's issues either, but surely we can all live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this is a bloody great rule. Yes the majority of deaths are the inexperienced rock hoppers but so be it. If i have to wear a life hacket when on the rocks to potentially save just ONE life. Where do i buy one????

As scratchie said this will only be in higj risk areas so if your thinki g you have to wear one just in a calm bay your probably over reacting.

We shouldn't be selfish about this its like saying ok now i have got 10 years driving experience in a car exempts me from wearing a seat belt but soon as someone inexperienced starts driving i need to wear a belt then so be it.

I think it is great they are acting on trying to save lives. Yes i get there is other ways to try and prevent this aswell but maybe this is a start. Least they are not ignoring it anymore.

This is just my opinion.

Cheers. :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Am I a dumb country hick or am I missing something here? We all wear seat belts in the car and life jackets crossing a bar...because they may save your life. Rock fishos should have to wear "appropriate" gear for what they are doing.

Am I a dumb country hick or am I missing something here? We all wear seat belts in the car and life jackets crossing a bar...because they may save your life. Rock fishos should have to wear "appropriate" gear for what they are doing.

Not a hick by any means Neil...just a bit of country boy common sense.

Not a hick by any means Neil...just a bit of country boy common sense.

Exactly my point gentlemen

Exactly my point gentlemen

Have to agree with you guys....seems like a bit of a first world problem to me complaining about wearing something that could save your life with the downside being maybe an inch or two of padding around your torso...don't really see the big deal.

But hay not knocking you boys that are upset about it. I cant imagine the morningtidefishing guys being able to do what they do with a life jacket on!

Have to agree with you guys....seems like a bit of a first world problem to me complaining about wearing something that could save your life with the downside being maybe an inch or two of padding around your torso...don't really see the big deal.

But hay not knocking you boys that are upset about it. I cant imagine the morningtidefishing guys being able to do what they do with a life jacket on!

Haha i was watching their videos the other day. There hella crazy lol.

And yeah i wouldnt say no to something that can give me an extra 60year life span lol.

Haha i was watching their videos the other day. There hella crazy lol.

And yeah i wouldnt say no to something that can give me an extra 60year life span lol.

Hahaha mate they are next level! My missus bought me a bunch of their clothes for chrissy so I'm constantly wearing their threads now =P

Hahaha mate they are next level! My missus bought me a bunch of their clothes for chrissy so I'm constantly wearing their threads now =P

Hahah didnt know they had a clothing line. If i seen you around id prob think you were one of them man ;)

If it saves lives it has got to be a step in the right direction. Even very experienced fishermen can be caught out with a rogue wave, losing their footing or overbalancing. The new type of life jacket are lightweight and comfortable, and cause little, if any, inconvenience.

If it saves lives it has got to be a step in the right direction. Even very experienced fishermen can be caught out with a rogue wave, losing their footing or overbalancing. The new type of life jacket are lightweight and comfortable, and cause little, if any, inconvenience.

Can't agree more.

I am a very confident swimmer in the ocean but I can't swim when I am unconscious.