how to catch Australian salmon

Flathead bream

G day!!! I want to catch Australian salmon so much. Where do you think is the best place

to catch Australian salmon. It doesn't matter if it is a beach or rock but it should be near

nothern beaches or near sydney. Could u also tell me some tips how to catch them for example

which bait to use, hook size , rod size,etc..

Thank u :)

I was in a very similar situation when I was desperate for my first Salmon. After many attempts in many places, I find beaches to be the easiest. You will find Salmon present on almost every beach, so I would imagine Northern Beaches to be good.

I fish with a 12ft rod (10ft should also be ok) and use the simple rig below (or other variations of it), a size 3/0 or even 4/0 gang hooks with a full pilchard. Other times I will use a double hook with a strip of fish (Mackerel, mullet, stripey, etc)

post-15508-013927200 1335430475_thumb.gif

Basically just cast in the gutter, and you should be in luck if there is any Salmon around. My preferred times for beach fishing is a couple of hours before sunset to a couple of hours after, so I usually time the rising tide around this period and fish those days.

I think with a bit of luck, it will be a matter of time before you land a Salmon. 2 out of 3 trips to the beach I usually catch Salmon.

I was in a very similar situation when I was desperate for my first Salmon. After many attempts in many places, I find beaches to be the easiest. You will find Salmon present on almost every beach, so I would imagine Northern Beaches to be good.

I fish with a 12ft rod (10ft should also be ok) and use the simple rig below (or other variations of it), a size 3/0 or even 4/0 gang hooks with a full pilchard. Other times I will use a double hook with a strip of fish (Mackerel, mullet, stripey, etc)

post-15508-013927200 1335430475_thumb.gif

Basically just cast in the gutter, and you should be in luck if there is any Salmon around. My preferred times for beach fishing is a couple of hours before sunset to a couple of hours after, so I usually time the rising tide around this period and fish those days.

I think with a bit of luck, it will be a matter of time before you land a Salmon. 2 out of 3 trips to the beach I usually catch Salmon.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought you could only have a maximum of 3 hooks ganged ??

Ye, sorry that diagram was a quick cut/paste job from the internet.

You can actually get more than 3 hooks in a gang, but normally that involves buying the right hooks and connecting them up.

I only really ever use 3 gangs ready made from the shop, easiest way to do it.

Caught a 60cm salmon at Dee Why beach. My brother and his mate fish there regularly, and have been spooled twice by something pretty big.

We caught a very large port jackson at dee why a few months ago, at night. He was definitely over 1 metre long.

We called it quits very early that night, due to the incoming tide bringing heaps of seaweed, grabbing all our lines.

We caught a very large port jackson at dee why a few months ago, at night. He was definitely over 1 metre long.

We called it quits very early that night, due to the incoming tide bringing heaps of seaweed, grabbing all our lines.

I am really interested in targeting the elusive Jewfish (yes still haven't landed my first one :depression:).

Is Dee Why any good?

Try newport or narrabeen up north or wanda or garie down south.

Use pilchard on a two hook rig with big star sinker.

Rising tide with less than 1m swell.

Try around 4pm onwards.

I use 2x 2/0 octopus hook and 30lb trace with 20lb mainline with 10ft rod. i got alvey 650bcxl reel n 600 rod.

Hope this helps n catch your 1st salmon.

Plenty of salmon n tailor on the beaches atm.

Yeah my brother pulled one in while I was up there fishing with them last year. Big bastard to, have a photo of it somewhere.

• 2 years later...

attachicon.gifSalmon-01.gif

Gave this a crack for the first time today down at Narrabeen. High tide at 3.45pm but was fishing from 5 just till 6.30. Landed a neat 57cm Salmon just on a pilchard which fought well. Launching out of the water a few times and dancing around.

Got a few photos ill post. Anyone know any good recipes?

I have only caught one (not for lack of trying) on a waxwing lure - I wanted to try it because I was told they were supposed to be a strong taste. For mine I bled it on the beach, took the fillets off on the beach and took them home. Then before cooking I removed the red blood line flesh, coated the remaining white fillets in a mix of flour, salt, pepper and a little chilli powder and then fried them up in the pan. I quite liked it, I have had worse fish that are supposed to be better eating.