Cost vs Benefit

SgtBundy

I am looking at getting a new combo to add to my fledgling collection. I currently have a 7ft ugly stick with a sienna 2500 that is my lighter/general purpose kit, and a 12ft Aerowave with a Fin Nor Lethal 60 reel as a surf and heavier combo. My dad bought one of my kids a little Shimano combo (Cazna 2500 reel and 6ft Quickfire rod). I was surprised just at how much nicer that rod feels for casting compared to my Ugly Stick. In short I find the US just too whippy and when using lures the tip just absorbs too much of the action, but I know its supposed to be a bait rod and the sensitive tip is great for that.

Any rate, its got me thinking about a new combo for lure work. Originally I was going to get the $99 Catana 702 + Sienna 2500 combo thats on offer online, as the Catana seems to enjoy a good rep on here and I quite like it when I have checked it out in the shop. But after some more reading and comparing products I am leaning more towards a Symetre 2500 reel and possibly a Raider II rod as they seem to be just better quality gear, even though its going about twice the price of the other combo.

So, what practical difference could I expect for spending twice the amount, or am I just being sucked in by marketing to spend more money?

Edited by SgtBundy

I have the exact combo you mention above being the catana and sienna combo, have had it for about 5 years now as my first foray into graphite rods and my first 'flick stick'. For its price I am very happy with it as most of the other people who have used my rod comment on how nice it feels to fish with being light and sensitive. It currently serves as my gf's rod when she comes fishing with me /my backup rod, it's spooled with fireline crystal 8lb. at the moment my new flick stick for chucking lures and such is a shimano symetre 2500 FL spooled with berkley tournament 8.8lb and on a pflueger trion sp702. I have much more confidence in the symetre reel if something bigger were to test it compared to the sienna, however I have not had the opportunity to test this theory out yet s I've only had it for about 2 months. I was looking at a few other graphite rods to match the symetre in the 100$ range and ended up going for the trion due to all the positive reviews on it. I find that the taper on the trion needs to be a little bit faster for my type of fishing as I find the rod tends to bend too much when putting action in it. You can't go wrong with either choices though, don't let the price of the catana combo fool you, it's a great combo for the price. Especially if your new to graphite rods and learning to take a bit more care with them compared to regular glass rods.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by Ojay Samson

Mate I was in the same boat a while ago building my collection of lure flicking setups, got the sienna 2500 and sonic pro (probs one step under catana) and I've pulled many many good fish on it including a nice snapper and a jew. The reel is great and the rod punches above its price tag. And I've dunked the reel and re serviced it about 7 times and it's easy to do and keeps coming back! However. I've also upgraded to a much more expensive light plastic combo, sustain and nitro finesse rod. And I can say the more expensive reels in the shimano range are a pleasure to use. If i was you I'd go the symetre. That's the reel that starts the good quality shimano kit, comes with a lot of the bells and whistles that you'll find on the top end kit. From what I've heard they're great kit. If you're doing an upgrade I'd get the best you can afford otherwise if you're like me you'll just be second guessing yourself :P

Time to retire my sienna to kayak only duty and get myself something in a higher price range as they do loosen up/ get a bit sloppy over time with the flogging I've given it!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Witha

Thanks - that large hardware store chain has taught me that buying cheap just means I am buying again, and probably soon :) Although in this case I can't fault my current sienna - definitely a budget reel but its not poor quality, as it has tolerated my handling of it as I learn my way back to regular fishing. Having one already is sort of why I am wondering what something like the Symetre brings to the table for 2-3x the price.

I can't quite justify going to the level of a stradic or sustain but if I can get as much quality out of a combo for $200 then thats as good as I can hope for.

Cheers.

Thanks - that large hardware store chain has taught me that buying cheap just means I am buying again, and probably soon :) Although in this case I can't fault my current sienna - definitely a budget reel but its not poor quality, as it has tolerated my handling of it as I learn my way back to regular fishing. Having one already is sort of why I am wondering what something like the Symetre brings to the table for 2-3x the price.

I can't quite justify going to the level of a stradic or sustain but if I can get as much quality out of a combo for $200 then thats as good as I can hope for.

Cheers.

Know exactly what you mean mate. And yeah I've had other reels at the same price and the sienna just seems to be that much better quality even at the same price. Don't think you'll regret the symetre combo mate, and yes it starts to skyrocket in price after that haha

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought that combo. Seems like a nice rod/reel.

Need to get some glasses so I can see to tie the braid.

That stuff is super thin. Haven't used the rod yet - stupid

wind, outboards and work getting in the way.

Toying with stopping at brooklyn on my way home just to get it wet.