Carbontex Drag Upgrades

I've recently been upgrading a few reels and just thoughts you might be interested in the result of upgrading to greased Carbontex drag washers in my 2 Stradics.

Stradic 2500FH

Stock drag pressure at lock up 3.8kg (no start up)*

Carbontex drag pressure at lock up 5.2kg (no start up)

Stradic 4000FH

Stock drag pressure at lock up 5.5kg (6.0kg at start up... 9% start up)*

Carbontex drag pressure at lock up 6.0kg (no start up)

* 'start up' is the result of an even slightly imperfect drag to need greater pressure to overcome inertia and start running than the real drag pressure to keep it running... not something you want)

I've also upgraded a TD Sol 2000 but since I only have 4lb braid on the spool, maximum drag pressure is irrelevant.

No photos this time... you all know what it looks like.

Cheers, Slinky

I get my drag washers from http://www.smoothdrag.com/ Service is fantastic, delivery has been 5-6 days whenever I've ordered, prices and postage are great.

Erskine's Reel Engineering can be found at http://jackerskine.com/index.html

For the record, hottyscotty, it's wise to be cautious about posting links. In this case neither business are in conflict with any of our sponsors so posting them is a useful help to members. It's essential to check with moderators or admin before posting any link. Even as a moderator, I cleared posting reel part links with Admin first.

Hope they help.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky,

with the Carbontex upgrade on the smaller sized reels have you noticed any differences in the increment of drag pressure when dialing up the drag? The reason I ask is that I have noticed when i upgraded my daiwa 6500 that a slight increase when dailing up the drag equated to huge increase in actual drag, takes a bit to get used too but definalty makes up with the increased performance.

Cheers,

sha

No... all the reels I've upgraded so far have seen an improvement in the smooth graduation of drag pressure. I'm not sure with a spin reel, what might cause the dramatic change for you but I'd check the overall height of the drag stack with the original then the new washers... a difference in height might be the cause. Also make sure that the drag washers are cleaned and greased properly, and the metal washers are clean, perfectly flat and undamaged before installing. Make sure all the washers are in proper sequence.

Which model reel is it... if I can find a copy of the schematics I'll have a look and see if there might be anything else out of the ordinary with the reel that might cause it.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky, the reel in question Saltiga 6500exp, i upgarded the drag from Day one when i purchased the reel brand new, the tackle shop i go too did the upgrade for me and he also advised me that with the Eskine upgrade, to watch out when dialing up the drag to becarefull as a slight increase means a higher increment then the standard washer. I spoke to my friend who also has a saltiga 6500 exp and had the same upgrade and he also noticed the difference. Both reels was tested out in Perth on Sambo's during January and both had incredible smooth drags.

I am not worried that it is a problem as this seems normal with the Saltiga's when upgrading to carbontex, but just interested to see if you had the same experience with the smaller shimanos.

Cheers,

Sz1

Edited by SZ1

Hi Slinky, the reel in question Saltiga 6500exp, i upgarded the drag from Day one when i purchased the reel brand new, the tackle shop i go too did the upgrade for me and he also advised me that with the Eskine upgrade, to watch out when dialing up the drag to becarefull as a slight increase means a higher increment then the standard washer. I spoke to my friend who also has a saltiga 6500 exp and had the same upgrade and he also noticed the difference. Both reels was tested out in Perth on Sambo's during January and both had incredible smooth drags.

I am not worried that it is a problem as this seems normal with the Saltiga's when upgrading to carbontex, but just interested to see if you had the same experience with the smaller shimanos.

Cheers,

Sz1

G'day SZ1,

It's almost certainly the result of a tiny difference in the overall height of the drag stacks. I've not pulled a Saltiga apart but reading one of Alan Tani's many articles, the incredibly fine tolerances in these super high-end reels, means that even these minute differences will change the performance characteristics of the reel. If you're happy with the outcome then it's all fine though.

Cheers, Slinky

5.2 kgs of drag is a lot on a 2500 stradic! What line class are you using on it and is that amount of drag necessary (I mean more is better than less of course :)

So if you apply the 1/3 breaking strain theory, that reel will be good for 15kg line or ~30lb line !

Will the rest of the reel be capable of handling that ? I am interested as I am into tinkering with my reels as well i.e. lapping and re-greasing to smooth out the drag and upgrading the washers would be my next DIY project with my reels.

5.2 kgs of drag is a lot on a 2500 stradic! What line class are you using on it and is that amount of drag necessary (I mean more is better than less of course :)

So if you apply the 1/3 breaking strain theory, that reel will be good for 15kg line or ~30lb line !

Will the rest of the reel be capable of handling that ? I am interested as I am into tinkering with my reels as well i.e. lapping and re-greasing to smooth out the drag and upgrading the washers would be my next DIY project with my reels.

The rest of the reel is definitely up to it... the limiting factor in most modern spin reels is going to be the clutch bearing. They'll likely fail before any other part of the reel, leaving you with a bad case of smacked knuckles. That sort of drag pressure isn't really necessary.

What the greased carbontex upgrade does that I consider much more important is to smooth the drag, eliminate start up problems if they're present, and reduce the likelihood of further problems. That said, Having 5kg of max drag means I have a heap of pressure at my disposal should I need it. It's a great confidence boost.

I was fishing 10lb braid on this upgraded reel when I hooked my Jack. I cranked it up to probably 4kg of drag to get the fish away from trouble, before backing it off again, and it did it easily.

Cheers, Slinky

I found that lapping the washers and using inox grease has made a huge difference for a smooth start up. But carbonex washers sounds too cool to pass up. I'll have to PM you for the washer size/codes for my 2500 Saros .. actually, they may be different to your FH ...