Fishing The Spit Bridge, Landbased, Saturday 30th, Starting About 8am

jamesds

Hi All,

I'll be fishing at a spot close to the Spit Bridge tomorrow, hoping for some kingies. I plan on being there before 8am to catch some livies, in time for the 9am high tide.

I'd love to have some company - if anyone would like to join me that'd be great. Novices or pros, both welcome :) I'm pretty amateur myself, but like getting out and giving it a go!

Oh, I'll be fishing landbased.

SMS me if you're interested: 0410634485

Cheers,

James.

Hi Ritchie,

I ended up with a legal bream, a legal tailor and a tons of small stuff. Everything was released. My biggest issue was that I couldn't catch live bait - there were hundreds of yakkas at my feet but I couldn't convince any of them to take my small long shank (tried pillie skin, bread, squid & prawn). They loved the bread whenI berleyed with it - just wouldn't take it from anything sharp and pointy !

I was there for the kings, so I was fairly disappointed that I couldn't get past the first step.

It wasn't crowded on the rocks on the north-east side where I was, but I was fairly lucky I think.

I'll let you know when I'm next out for a session - usually every Saturday from early til late.

James.

How did you go mate?... saw the post too late but would like to join you for the next time (date/time permitted) ..

heard Spit bridge is a good spot but gets a bit crowded and muddy?

I always struggle catching yakkas at spit bridge land based too. As you say you can usually see them in the burley but hooking them is another matter. The sweep and baby tailor get to the bait before the yakkas can! On a couple of occasions now I've hit Balmoral at first light to get a bucket of yakkas and then transported them to the spit using an aerator to keep them alive. Much more reliable if you're serious about getting into the kings there. Catching squid and using them live is another option too. Again balmoral is a good spot for catching them but it might take you a bit longer to get enough for a session, so start early an hour or so before dawn.

• 1 month later...

I always struggle catching yakkas at spit bridge land based too. As you say you can usually see them in the burley but hooking them is another matter. The sweep and baby tailor get to the bait before the yakkas can! On a couple of occasions now I've hit Balmoral at first light to get a bucket of yakkas and then transported them to the spit using an aerator to keep them alive. Much more reliable if you're serious about getting into the kings there. Catching squid and using them live is another option too. Again balmoral is a good spot for catching them but it might take you a bit longer to get enough for a session, so start early an hour or so before dawn.

i usually get mine from nrth head, where at balmoral can i get yakkas/squid it will save me a extra 40min round trip

much appreciated