Please help!

G'day All,

I am currently servicing a Penn 8500ss for a mate of mine,and shyte,does it need it.Anyway after much stuffing around ,i have managed to get it all apart and to my surprise,apart from rooted bearings everything else is as good as new.

Now my problem lies with the pinion bearing,it's stuck like a bastard, and even though i have destroyed the bearing, the outer race is still stuck .I have tried various penetrating oils etc,gentle pursuasion but alas it is still stuck.

So i am desperate,and i'm relying on the collective Raiders brains trust to help me solve this problem.

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

G'day All,

I am currently servicing a Penn 8500ss for a mate of mine,and shyte,does it need it.Anyway after much stuffing around ,i have managed to get it all apart and to my surprise,apart from rooted bearings everything else is as good as new.

Now my problem lies with the pinion bearing,it's stuck like a bastard, and even though i have destroyed the bearing, the outer race is still stuck .I have tried various penetrating oils etc,gentle pursuasion but alas it is still stuck.

So i am desperate,and i'm relying on the collective Raiders brains trust to help me solve this problem.

Cheers,

G'day All,

Cheers,

hi banana try putting the part of the reel with the stuck bearing in the oven and warm it up a bit not hot enough to melt anything when hot enough put a icecube on the bearing and hopefully this will shrink the steel andmake it easier to get it out

Hi Bananaphobic,

Glad you got it sorted... sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've been tied up with some other commitments.

Here's a pic of the 2 bearing pullers I use :biggrin2:

post-6175-031249900 1313447116_thumb.jpg

The 'heavy duty' model is an old wrench that came with a Penn reel... it's been bent over at a 90 degree angle with pliers. The lightweight model is really high-tech... its a bent paper clip. It's worth having one of each handy when servicing reels.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Slinky,

I was hoping for your input and better late than never ,as my old mum says.

Yeah,i finaly got it sorted,but this bearing would have laughed at those tools of yours Slinky.The puller i had to resort to was a motorcycle wheel bearing puller,and even then i had to introduce a modicum of heat to the equation,this bearing was STUCK!.The funny thing was that when the bearing was removed the seat was as clean as a whistle.Go figure.

Cheers,