Ford Territory Tow Vehicle

fish lipps

gday all, i'm in the market for a ford territory and i'm wondering if any other raiders are towing with a territory. I'm looking at the models that are 6speed, the boat is a 5.1m allycraft (not really a heavy boat).Just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of..

cheers.

Mark

If you are buying a new vehicle, then make sure its AWD. Some ramps are just too slippery for RWD.

My boat is light and on low tide, without AWD (or 4WD is what I have, different car) the rear wheels always skid until the front ones engage.

And get the heavy duty tow pack.

Apart from that, it should tow your boat fine. I personally prefer owning a diesel motor for towing, but it will do...

gday all, i'm in the market for a ford territory and i'm wondering if any other raiders are towing with a territory. I'm looking at the models that are 6speed, the boat is a 5.1m allycraft (not really a heavy boat).Just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of..

cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark,

You should send Offtap1 a pm - He has one and his boat is bloody huge!!!

yeah i've seen offtap at the ramp acouple of times, it seemed to be fine. The one i drove today was AWD, i can't imagine that there would be a drama with the ford but it doesn't hurt to ask around.

G'day Fish lipps,

Can't speak for their towing ability, but a few months ago I was at a local panel shop after being rear ended and was talking to the owner. He showed me a near new Territory that he was repairing for rust in the base of the rear door. He says he does a lot of this 'warranty' work for Ford and it is a common problem with the Territory. Other than that one experience I can't comment on the cars. Thought you might like to know. all the best......

Dave

james 1990 used his rwd territory to tow a 6m fibreglass boat which would have weighed close to 2 ton loaded , and it had no trouble going up the ramp. plenty of power on the freeway and no trouble going up hill even with a 4 big blokes in the car, and the boat full of gear and fuel

a very nice car..the turbo territory is also a nice choice :biggrin2:

I have a 05 Territory Ghia RWD with traction control and tow my boat no problems.

It is only a 3.75m tinnie with a 20hp but mate i can tell ya i dont even feel its there.

Great car to tow and i have had not one problem with the car. Got it as a demonstrator with leather 6 air bags running boards alloys DVD player blah blah blah. Its got the full shebang but it is only the 4 speed. Mate i dont know the difference.

I put in the tow pack but mines is only to 1600kgs. My advice is go the heavy duty and you can tow the mothership with it.

Best of luck

Mate as you have seen i have a AWD 6 speed Auto Territory, pulls boat weighing inexcess of 2500kgs, have transported up and down coast several times like a dream, the 6 speed just nails it, would highly recomend this vehicle for towing ability, i did fit tow bar self leveling kit due to weight but tow weight under 1500kgs should not be a problem , like all towing weight ensure tow ball weight is close to 10% of total weight , mine has 230kgs on tow ball but self leveler transfers weight back to front leveling out ride and making it as good as it gets. Cheers Dave

We used to tow a 6 meter haines hunter fibreglass center console with twin 90hp yammys loaded with 220liters of fuel, fishing gear, 4 blokes and all the other bits and peices..towed fine

When we went on holidays up to portstephons she would be loaded with fishing gear, bikes, clothes, food, esky's, furniture for our caravan HEAPS of stuff.....would have weighed in excess of 2400kg and the territory towed like a dream

FISHLIPPS...myself and my dad met you back at the ramp a few months back when we took our tabs seascape 602 alloy with a 150hp yammy 4stroke out for her first run on the bay...we approached you as we saw your sticker.

We used a 5 speed tiptronic territory ts to tow that 4liter inline 6 cylinder rear wheel drive, same veichal used to tow the 6 meter haines.

Weather highway driving, driving around streets/city...on boat ramps the territory performed great.

It even performed better than our old nissan patrol 3 liter turbo deisal, automatic 2003 model.....we used that for the same work as the territory...sluggish as hell, always having problems with the turbo overboosting or underboosting,,, overheating...suspension in the rear was $#!t...i hated being in this veichal when towing.

Territory definatly the go.

My dad works in the automotive industry for ford.

If you would like any information PM me and i will get back to you as soon as possible.

cheers james

Everyone has there own opinion on each car out there.

Only from personal experience i know they are a good car.......also a tip ...don't use the reverse camera as your eyes behind you....only check to see if there is anything there...use your mirrors.

cheers james

I believe the manufacturers recommended max tow weight is 1,500KG (braked).

In NSW at least, towing anything heavier than that would invalidate your insurance.

I'd think long and hard before towing 6m+ boats.....

Always reckon on having the tow vehicle heavier than the boat, that way the boat is far less likely to "push" the vehicle around. Also make sure you have good brakes on the trailer when you start towing a couple of tonnes!

Ive heard that both the ford and holden 4WD's are a bit sketchy. Stick with toyota or nissan and you cant go wrong. A pathfinder would be a good sized car for the boat you are towing....or upsize to a cruiser or a patrol if you want to go off road or get a bigger boat in the future. Good luck anyway with what ever you choose.

Mate as you have seen i have a AWD 6 speed Auto Territory, pulls boat weighing inexcess of 2500kgs, have transported up and down coast several times like a dream, the 6 speed just nails it, would highly recomend this vehicle for towing ability, i did fit tow bar self leveling kit due to weight but tow weight under 1500kgs should not be a problem , like all towing weight ensure tow ball weight is close to 10% of total weight , mine has 230kgs on tow ball but self leveler transfers weight back to front leveling out ride and making it as good as it gets. Cheers Dave

Hey Dave,

Could you post a picture of your load leveling kit attached? I've seen them on caravans but all of them have the "A" frame up to the tow ball. I was curious to see how you attach one on a boat trailer with a straight drawbar. Also what model / make is it and where did you get it from?

" The Motor traffic Amendment (Towing and Mass Limits) Regulation 1998 was enacted on December 18th 1998 and removes the lower speed restriction of 80kph for trailers exceeding a laden weight of 750 kgs towed by a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) not exceeding 4.5 tonnes. Posted speed limits apply.

A motor vehicle with a GVM not exceeding 4.5 tonnes may not tow a trailer with a mass (including any load) that exceeds the towing apparatus fitted to the vehicle or exceed the relevant maximum trailer mass specified by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.

If the motor vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum trailer mass, or the limit cannot be identified, the maximum trailer mass must be limited to one and a half times the unladen mass (tare weight) of the motor vehicle if the trailer is fitted with brakes, or the unladen mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is not fitted with brakes.

N.B. all trailers with a laden weight exceeding 750 kgs must be fitted with appropriate trailer brakes. "

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

Could you post a picture of your load leveling kit attached? I've seen them on caravans but all of them have the "A" frame up to the tow ball. I was curious to see how you attach one on a boat trailer with a straight drawbar. Also what model / make is it and where did you get it from?

Hi Buddy , the leveling kit is a hayman reece set up, with an additional square frame for setting up on a straight draw bar, i cant find this on website but i did take info off one from Coldys towbars and made my own to suit the large tubing on my trailer, so they are available.

Standard Set up on caravan

post-1870-1196677072_thumb.jpg

The Bracket required for straight draw bars

post-1870-1196677113_thumb.jpg

Edited by offtap1