Basking Shark Caught

finin

Guest no one

Ha, "landed" makes it sound like they actually caught it on a rod and line...

Baskings are massive prehistoric creatures, used to see loads when I lived in the Shetland Islands, really scary looking things. Usually a really cold water fish, not sure what it would be doing round here... certainly sounds like its lost!

Also - nothing surprises me about these trawlers... although I am surprised they've not caught a mermaid yet!

Ha, "landed" makes it sound like they actually caught it on a rod and line...

Baskings are massive prehistoric creatures, used to see loads when I lived in the Shetland Islands, really scary looking things. Usually a really cold water fish, not sure what it would be doing round here... certainly sounds like its lost!

Also - nothing surprises me about these trawlers... although I am surprised they've not caught a mermaid yet!

Haha yeah i completly agree with tef. Even on the news they admitted it got tangled in their nets haha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Guest no one

I would need a Fresh-Water mermaid, for the pool :sun: . Not sure about reaction of Wife :ranting2:

Sad thing is I think my life would like her better than me!

Yeah Ed,

I read the story as well and was a bit surprised that a basking shark was observed so far from "home". However, it's not the first caught in Australian waters. According to Wiki, their distribution is world wide. I'd love to know their migratory pattern. And apparently it was donated to the Victoria Museum, so kudos to the trawler skipper and crew.

Edited by GreyNurse

Greynurse, well after a bit more reading as you said they are found in Australian waters all the way from perth down and around the bite to tassy and all the way up the east coast ending near the reef and out to NZ.

Breeding grounds iceland and nth europe.

Usually found way over the shelf and the last one caught in Australian waters was 130yrs ago!

Yes has been donated to Museum Victoria.

post-13466-0-40160000-1435272002.jpg