Best Fish finder for around $1000 Mark

BarCrusher

Hi Raiders,

Got my new boat and really pleased with the entire package apart from the GPS and Depth sounder requiring an update.

Kicked off the usual online research and have a shortlist of options but the more I look into it the deeper down the rabbit hole I get.

So thought it might be an idea to reach out to the brains trust and get an idea of what has actually worked for you guys in practice.

Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Considerations

- Budget $1000 - can stretch it a little further if required

- Pref dual unit GPS/Depth sounder (primary focus on depth sounder)

- Main use Bays and Coastal offshore

- Size: Pref 7" +

Cheers

Bill

Sorry but just to explain my brief answer. I have the Furuno 587 with a 1kw thru hull transducer but my boat had a second small unit mounted on the dash which I used for surface bait when trolling and when reef of inshore fishing. When the GPS aerials died I looked to replace it with a smaller unit and wanted internal GPS aerial for less new holes to be drilled. The unit is great and does far more than I am using it for. I actually went the 6 inch version at the time for less obstruction of vision and because they had a package deal at the time including the map card. There are plenty of good unit on the market and sure that other will recommend different brands through their own experience that just my take on the one that I have used.

I suggest going to shops and playing with display models take note of how easy they are to navigate through the menus some are real brain teasers, then conceder what you are going to hook in to it & what you want it to do , down view / side view / deep water? if you are going to buy any "ad ons" then look at the price of the ad ons you may be wanting.

as for talking from experience I cant help because my Garmin cost me near 2K but I love it! when I bought it my second option was the lowrance elite 7 they are really cheap now (I do wonder why).

Fathers day is near catalogues are in our favour at this time of year, also check shops web sites there are some good ex-demo's on sale at the moment.

Brett

Thanks All for the good advice

The Garmin 75SV is on the shortlist. Do you know anyone who owns one or seen it used on the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart choice I may be on the same boat. Did some research about this unit. It is value for the money.

I bought the 95SV for $1599 and found it easy to use. The maps on it were dated 2014 but a simple phone call and they were upgraded to 2015 for free.

The side scan is very good especially used in conjunction with the downvue. Put me straight onto a bait ball holding on a small reef at the back of Boat Harbour with snapper sitting under it. Never knew it was there before that. The maps are clear and have the different depth isobars clearly marked.

Upgrades are carried out via a microsd plugged directly into your computer.

J

Simrad G07?

Has anyone used them....

Just seen the specials on the nss12... $1999 maybe I should be upgrading my nss8

Simrad GO7 Combo is designed for sport boaters who want an all-in-one Navigation display that will do everything you need right out of the box. Touch Screen controls via the HEROiC interface make using the GO7 very simple and intuitive.

• 7" 16:9 1200 nits TFT 800 x 480 WVGA display
  • Up to 4 Way Split Screen
  • Built-in Broadband and CHIRP echosounder
  • Built-in DownScan imaging
  • Built-in 10hz GPS/GLONASS Antenna (GS25 External Antenna option available separately)
  • Built-in Wi-Fi Compatibility with GoFree Cloud connectivity
  • Network Load (LEN): 1
  • NMEA2000 compatibility (note, no Ethernet connectivity)
  • Simrad Autopilot intergration and control
  • Mercury VesselView Display intergration
  • Micro SD Card slot
  • Low profile front flush mountable for Glass Bridge appearance
  • C-MAP MAXN, Navionics Silver, Gold & Platinum Map options (What is the difference?)
  • IPX7 Environmental Protection rating
  • 950mA Power consumption @ 13.5V
  • Supplied with GO7 Display Unit, Sun Cover, HDI Transducer (GPS131 only), Plug Caps, Fuse Holder (ATC Blade), 3 Amp Fuse, Power Cable, Screw Fasteners, Mounting Bracket w/Knobs, Getting Started Manual, Installation Manual and Warranty Sheet
Edited by Swifty13

Guest no one

I bought the Dragonfly and very happy but you are right there are plenty of good options.

How have you found the Dragonfly? I'm really intrigued by them over a Lowrance... in all honesty, Lowrance kinda seem a bit basic to me, a bit boring!

The Dragonfly is good value to me and adds a new dimension to shallow water fishing although I haven't played too much with it and so far have been a bit of a turn on and of user. The sidescan when you go over reefy areas like around Jibbon is awesome but not to say others aren't either. Problem with technology is you cant keep up. GPS I read in reviews is easy to use but again as a backup unit I haven't read the instructions so still working through it. If you want to have a look let me know and I'll see if we can take it out for a run.

Options options options...

The dragonfly reviews are overwhelmingly positive and are fairly priced for what you get. Aiming to get my hands on one at the shops and have a play around

And the Simrad is a new contender that I hadn't even considered.

Ahh First world problems..

Thanks All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk