stripemarlin

been haveing a few stripe marlin coming up and thrashing at my lures but unable to get a decent hook up on lures i know you can switch bait them but does anyone have a good lure or techniqe for getting stripes on lures thanks.

I've found that a Williamson coyote in either evil or "lumo" works wonders from the long rigger. they took all my striped marlin this year (lost both of them, waiting for a couple to arrive) and most of them on previous seasons. it seems that coz it has a smaller head, they can suck it down a little easier.

I've been running it with a single small-gauge hook, semi-stiff rigged with the barb all but crushed (and no, I've never had one fall out on me) then shove a tooth pick up it to keep the hook running upright.

I've had almost zero success with other lures on strippies (cept for the sprocket with smaller hooks in it)

But, shhh! it's a secret ;)

the best stripe marlin lures are green, small, green, easy to eat, and green.

nothing wrong with a bullet or jet either as they run true and can be sipped down.

Striped marlin would be as big as blues if they could eat!

G'day mate,

I have caught many striped marlin over the last few years in everything from a 6inch polukai to a 12 inch Pakula wombat. So it isn't so much a specific lure more like being in the right place, trolling g at the right speed and using extremely sharp hooks.

My best hook up rates occur after I sharpen all my hooks.

You would be suprised at how effective sharpening your hooks will be.

Hope this helps mate keep it up and I'll nail them.

D

Ps I have caught many on both single and double hook rigs and it seems there isn't a major difference in hook up rates.

Hi all,

This has been my experience with striped marlin....... the striped, unlike the blue and black, will usually not commit to a take i.e. they will come up behind the lure/teaser and swipe at the lure with their bill. A lure that is being trolled is travelling at 7-8knots and when the stripes come up and bills the lure, the lure keep moving away from the marlin instead of being stung. This really annoys the hell out the marlin and they become agitated and continue to swipe the lure - generally the time a switch bait is introduced and is so effective in getting a hook-up as the marlin is really pissed and all lit up. Often the striped will mouth the lure and will run with the rod loading up for a short time, the marlin will then drop the lure as it has felt the hook. The first minute or so on a striped (or any fish) is critical and I agree that really sharp hooks are a must when trolling lures for marlin - you need to penetrate that upper jaw. I personally run a double hook rig but many have a preference for a single hook set well back in the skirt. I run lures ranging from a 12inch lumo sprocket to an 8inch Black bart 1656 in mackerel pink (stripes love 'em). Oh and yes I totally agree that stripes really do suck on lures...... live bait, live bait, live bait.

Regards,

Rabs.

Edited by Rabs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This has been my experience with striped marlin....... the striped, unlike the blue and black, will usually not commit to a take i.e. they will come up behind the lure/teaser and swipe at the lure with their bill. A lure that is being trolled is travelling at 7-8knots and when the stripes come up and bills the lure, the lure keep moving away from the marlin instead of being stung. This really annoys the hell out the marlin and they become agitated and continue to swipe the lure - generally the time a switch bait is introduced and is so effective in getting a hook-up as the marlin is really pissed and all lit up. Often the striped will mouth the lure and will run with the rod loading up for a short time, the marlin will then drop the lure as it has felt the hook. The first minute or so on a striped (or any fish) is critical and I agree that really sharp hooks are a must when trolling lures for marlin - you need to penetrate that upper jaw. I personally run a double hook rig but many have a preference for a single hook set well back in the skirt. I run lures ranging from a 12inch lumo sprocket to an 8inch Black bart 1656 in mackerel pink (stripes love 'em). Oh and yes I totally agree that stripes really do suck on lures...... live bait, live bait, live bait.

Regards,

Rabs.

I'm with Rabs. The only Striped we have managed this season was on one of HIS lures. All of the other 12 or so hits we had missed hooking up on my lures.

Raising Stripes off the NSW coast in Jan-Feb is the easy bit - getting a hookup is the harder part.

Striped Marlin suck on lures - just got to find good live bait off Sydney consistently.

Bruce.