Registering A Homemade Trailer

barrykrocker

Hi all

Apologies that this is not directly about boating but I figure some of you might have knowledge in the area. I have a homemade trailer (never been registered ) and got a pink slip for it. Now, can I simply waltz into the RTA and get it registered?

Thanks for any answers

I thought all trailers these days had to have a plate saying they abide by the Australian Standard etc etc, also stating its TARE, GVM etc, get it weighed then get the trailer stamped with a VIN, THEN go to the RTA to get registered. Maybe the plate etc is only for commercially manufactured trailers and not home mades.....

In your post you mention you have a pink slip already (which I thought would indicate its already got plates, vin number, been weighed etc...). Could you eleborate a bit?

Back when I registered a home made unregistered box trailer, I had to get it weighed, a VIN assigned, then take the form I got from the inspection station to the RTA who then registered it and assigned me rego plates.

Edited by abitfishy

Strange that you got a pink slip if it has never been rego'd should be a blue slip.

If you needed a blue slip the rego guy should have told you so, but I can't see how he could give you a pink slip without an existing rego number.

first thing is to get it weighed then take the weight slip to a rego checker and get a blue slip, the bloke who blue slips it will stamp the trailer, then just take the paperwork to the rta and they'll give you a rego plate.

I'd contact the rta and then the rego guy to make sure it's been done properly.

Edited by Yoda

Your pretty much on the money there abitfishy,

To register a home made trailer you must

1) Get a weigh bridge ticket stating the un-laden weight of the trailer

2) Have a tyre placcard sticker on the trailer

3) Have a VIN pplate installed on the trailer frame

4) Apply for a VIN number for the trailer.

5) Get the VIN number stamped onto the VIN plate

6) Get a Blue Slip for the trailer

7) Have a design check done on the trailer

8) Go and pay for the trailer registration

9) Buy a number plate.

As you can see it can be a lenghty process.

Your pretty much on the money there abitfishy,

To register a home made trailer you must

1) Get a weigh bridge ticket stating the un-laden weight of the trailer

2) Have a tyre placcard sticker on the trailer

3) Have a VIN pplate installed on the trailer frame

4) Apply for a VIN number for the trailer.

5) Get the VIN number stamped onto the VIN plate

6) Get a Blue Slip for the trailer

7) Have a design check done on the trailer

8) Go and pay for the trailer registration

9) Buy a number plate.

As you can see it can be a lenghty process.

Thank you everyone for the comments.

It really does sounds likem a total pain in the ass. I will probably just buy a new one aye

Cheers again

If the trailer is well made then I would suggest going through the hassle to register the home made one.

It is a lot of stuffing around but you should be able to get it all done in one afternoon.

If you contact the RTA they can give you the details of the closest Authorised Inspection Station that can do the Blue slip.

• 4 years later...

all the info is on the RTA web site under unregistered vehicles

It's really not gazza.

For example, the rta site states that "Trailers under 250kg do not require a safety check." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/safetycheck/othercheck.html#trailer

Does this mean that no blue slip is required for a home-made trailer or for a trailer with lapsed registration?

It is not clear at all. Pink slips are not required (safety check) for these once registered. But an ID check would still be required (the old Blue Slip) and surely a safety check is part of this process.

A mate of mine is in this situation - trailer rego has lapsed (not renewed within 3 months) and the exact requirements for re-rego are not clear at all and not easy to find on the rta site, if they are there at all.

Guest Aussie007

It's really not gazza.

For example, the rta site states that "Trailers under 250kg do not require a safety check." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/safetycheck/othercheck.html#trailer

Does this mean that no blue slip is required for a home-made trailer or for a trailer with lapsed registration?

It is not clear at all. Pink slips are not required (safety check) for these once registered. But an ID check would still be required (the old Blue Slip) and surely a safety check is part of this process.

A mate of mine is in this situation - trailer rego has lapsed (not renewed within 3 months) and the exact requirements for re-rego are not clear at all and not easy to find on the rta site, if they are there at all.

i was replying to the last post by GeekFisherman as all other post are from 2006 once a light trailer is registered u dont need rego inspections every year as long as u keep the rego on going each year

A blue slip is required for a homemade trailer and for a trailer that has had the registration lapsed.

when you say home made that rings warning bells to me if it was made by some one compedent in welding and copyed from a proven model it maybe ok

the problem is every asshole and there dog think they can weld there is a big diferance between looking ok and being stuctuly sound

the first question i will ask is has it been hot dipped galvanised if not do'nt waste you time as it will rust out in under 5 years

the second is are there any holes or pin holes in any off the welds if so its crap

the 3 question is how thick is the rhs frame regarding wall thickness off the square hollow sections if it is under 2.5 mm its crap

sorry to be a kill joy but the last thing you would need is a good boat on a crap trailer

to give you peace off mind bring it down to my workshop at silverwater and i'll give it a good going over cheers gary