Cooking Eel

anfo0o

Caught an eel the other day in port hacking.. Was pretty big and thought id keep it to give it a taste..

Any tips on skinning and preparing..

I heard smoking the eel is the best option. i remember seeing a video of peeling the skin AFTER smoking the eel? And apparently Vodka removes the "fishy" taste"- dont know if you skull the vokda before you eat it =) or marinate it in vokda..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dude,

I don't know if the saltwater eel is any good. I know that fesh water eels are bloody marvellous either smoked or pan fried. I have watched them skinning them on Lifestyle FOOD.. they make a small incision behind teh head, grab the tag and peel the skin off. Then you can either fillet or make small cutlets.

Let us know either way.

Edited by Ceph

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know allot about eels but dont allott of freshwater eels migrate into the salt to breed.

I am however, certain that all eels are the spawn of Beelzebub and deserve to be sent back to the firery pits of hell.

:orc:

I remember way back many many moons ago I went to Tamworth with my family on an annual bowhunters gathering. We caught an eel in a creek (Actually it was snagged on an old setline & we pulled it in after seeing it thrashing around in the shallows)

Anyway, my mum got told to shallow fry it in milk! Sounds weird I know but the vivid memory I have was that it was bloody delicious, even Dad had some and loved it after saying it would probably taste like crap.

Dunno exactly how it was prepared but I do remember the milk & shallow fry bit.

Update: I just spoke to my mum, she said they skinned the eel first, then she boiled it in milk & then dipped it in egg yolk & bread crumbs & THEN shallow fried. Yummy.

Edited by Boofhead

• 1 month later...

Haven't eaten eel for years but used to love it.

Hang it to the clothes line by wire, cut behind the head and use pliers or put salt on your hands to get a grip and pull like hell. We used to cut the eel into steaks, add alittle seasoning, then under the grill.

Can't go far wrong with that method.

• 4 months later...

Caught an eel the other day in port hacking.. Was pretty big and thought id keep it to give it a taste..

Any tips on skinning and preparing..

I heard smoking the eel is the best option. i remember seeing a video of peeling the skin AFTER smoking the eel? And apparently Vodka removes the "fishy" taste"- dont know if you skull the vokda before you eat it =) or marinate it in vokda..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

As kids we used to catch alot of big Morey eels. The preference for consumption was either to smoke, which resulted in quite an oily fillet or to chargrill as steaks on the BBQ. Biggest problem is its pretty oily fare which I think is the point of the boiling in milk part.

To skin, cut behind the head and use pliers to pull toward the tail.

Nowadays as there are far better options I simply wouldnt bother, preferring to see them diving rather than on a plate

Edited by Zuluboy

We used to get quite a few down at Tuross.

My Uncle did the whole hang from a tree on a nail and skin them trick.

Unfortunately I wasnt old enough to drink then cause I reckon it would take a hell of a lot of vodka for them to taste even close to average.

I have given the freshwater ones a go a couple of years ago and they were at least edible.

All I do with Port Hacking eels is yell at them and swear at the fact I have lost a good bait to a crap fish.

DAVE

• 8 years later...

There i one type of eel that looks like a pike, i think its a conger (or it looks like one) and there are loads at illawong point, beautiful eating with butter and lemon but only bad thing is its really boney and mum said couldnt enjoy eating it coz of the bones. but you should probably takes them and eat them to clean up. most snags are actually big eels so try to take it in a little before you snap it.

Over the years we have held family competitions for catching freshwater eels. Commonly they tended to be silvers, congas or mud eels.

A lady we knew used to like to eat the silvers in particular and it was just a case of letting them slime for a while and doing as the other said just a slit behind the head and peel with pliers. I believe they are all as bony as hell though. I've not eaten it and wouldn't bother while ever i can still catch flathead.

Also a friend of my grandfathers had a license to live trap eels for the japanese market for many years and caught them in both fresh and saltwater. It didn't matter what they come out of.

The question about migration of eels can be answered with a simple yes, the conga, silver and mud move happily between both fresh and saltwater and during periods of rain can be found slithering like a snake across ground moving between rivers and dams. Frightened shit out of me a number of times