Winter Bass - Got my PB, then beat my PB

Hi Raiders,

Just returned from 2 weeks leave where i decided to hit some of the impoundments in search of a PB Bass and hopefully tick a Saratoga off the northern bucket list.

No beans on the Saratoga (yet) but i did manage a PB bass of 40cm in the first week. The week after, i cracked that with a 42cm model and scored about 15 others the same size.

In the two trips i made, i caught well over 50 bass, nothing under 37cm. I did notice however; these fish were a lot leaner than they should be for this time of year, perhaps there is a shortage of food in the impoundments.... I also managed a mega eel of over 1 metre which fell to a berkley flicker shad, great fun on light gear.

I have been using some new gear of late:

Sunline Super Bass (70m) 10lb braid in camo green - this line is excellent as with all sunline products. Really good knot holder and casts like a bullet

Daiwa Tournament 8 Snaps - i have always been a skeptic of snaps and thought they would put off bites, certainly not the case with the bass. they are so small that i dont think they would make any difference... they are really fiddly however and dont really make lure changing a 'breeze' but, i dont have to lose any leader cutting or re-tying.

Lures i been using have been jackall and sebile tail spinners, berkley flicker shads, beetle spins, rev heads with small plastics and TN60's.

Technique; its all about finding the bass right now, which seem to be schooled up. Once located, its about finding out what they want to eat and how they want it presented. I spent ages on a school of fish and didnt get a touch just because my retrieve wasnt right. I woke them up with some more aggressive lifts and i was on straight away.

Enjoy the pics!,

Stan

post-16847-0-61024300-1464645874_thumb.jpgpost-16847-0-80788200-1464645864_thumb.jpgpost-16847-0-73681900-1464645842_thumb.jpgpost-16847-0-90013700-1464645831_thumb.jpgpost-16847-0-90467500-1464645798_thumb.jpgpost-16847-0-65602600-1464645782_thumb.jpg

Are they not spawning this time of year? Which would explain their schooling. :gangup:

Bass need salt/brackish water to spawn. In the wild, yes, they would be spawning hence season closures etc. These do not apply to the impoundments (where i was fishing) as the bass do not spawn in them.

I guess they carry that schooling behaivour from the wild through - i always thought they did it for warmth lol!

Cheers

Your killing it up there Stan! Bass are a great fish to target. Congrats on your PB, PB! I would have said that close up was 50cm lol :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie,

hows the fishing down your way going at the moment? no doubt some big winter jew around

Great report Stan and well done on the pbs. Love the photos, too. Cheers.

Thanks Neil, has the water level picked back up in your neck of the woods yet? i gather the cod would be in full swing right now

Thanks Scratchie,

hows the fishing down your way going at the moment? no doubt some big winter jew around

Thanks Neil, has the water level picked back up in your neck of the woods yet? i gather the cod would be in full swing right now

Alas the water levels are right down. I haven't had a look this week but doubt that I'd get very far in the river. Pity 'cos the Cod are usually worth a go at this time of year. Hanging out to go fishing but too much other stuff happening right now. Cheers, Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...