Burrill Lake Fish Kill

Hodgey

G'day all

Residents and visitors of Burrill Lake are being warned that they should avoid fishing or collecting dead or dying fish in Burrill Lake following a large fish kill.

NSW fisheries have yet to determine the cause of the fish kill although they are considering the possibility of an algae bloom.

Water and fish samples have been taken from the lake for analysis.

Captured fish in poor condition should be released, and shellfish should not be collected.

A large range of fish species have been effected by this issue including bream, flathead, whiting, mullet and luderick.

Cheers

Hodgey

The kill is very extensive. There was about a dozen flatties between 70 & 85cm that had been dragged up on the sure. Similar number of bream to 40 cm. Saw a few whiting approximately 50cm.

The water was loaded with dead fish to the point that if you where to walk in the water you would struggle to avoid stepping on a fish. Will upload a picture when I get home.

It must have happen fairly quickly, i was down their the w-end befor the long w-end watchn the old fellas jossle position arond the bridge fishin for luderick, water and fish sempt fine, adults and kids fishin from the jetties dotted around the place catchin plenty of mullet.

There is some big fish in those photos :( I wonder what long-term effects something like this will have on the Lake? Thanks for supplying the photos Charlie. Puts the article into perspective. :(

Cheers

Hodgey

Dam that is a real shame. I have always loved fishing there, and over the long weekend at Easter had 2 of my best sessions ever. 1st session scored my first ever big Lizard 88cm and 2cnd got onto hot bite of big bream, with masses of schooling bait it was no surprise really. Hope it bounces back quickly.

There was another fish kill about 2 - 3 weeks prior to this.

The first kill happened at the western arm of the lake.

I wish I had taken more pics of this the second fish kill.

The wind had pushed the majority of the floating fish to the northern shore of the bay. The floating fish where packed for 3m wide from the shore over an area of about 100m. BULK fish.

The water had a very thin film of a very transparent oil on the surface. I stock a stick in the water and stirred the water up a little, little blue slicks the color of spilt fuel in water developed for about 15 seconds before dissipating.

Whilst surveying the kill on the eastern side of the bay I saw 2 very big flatties sitting in shallow water. would have been close to the magic meter. I stuck my stick in the water and the flatties took off. there was bulk fish swimming to the eastern shore and karking it....

Articles i have read indicated that the fish stocks in the lake may take up to 20 years to recover...

I watched in disbelief as a rather large lady shoveled dead fish into the boot of her old Camry. i hope for her sake she did not eat the fish.

That is a real shame! I know that algal blooms occur & can cause fish kills - I just hope there wasn't some human interference in there too! I always associated algal blooms in warmer weather, not winter! wacko.gif

How's the lake, Ian? Have they opened that? I bet they don't want another flood - like, was it just last year?

Roberta

hi Roberta,

lakes been open for quite some time now.

Can not remember exactly when they opened the lake, but it was before December last year.

The lake is in real trouble in regards to the entrance.

The entrance to the lake use to be straight to the sea from the bridge.

The council opened a caravan park over at Dolphin Point and opted to move the entrance to it's current location to benefit the new caravan park.

I remember back in the day launching the boat in Burill lake to access the ocean.

These days you would be lucky to get with several hundred meters of the lakes mouth even in a punt.

The really need to Follow naroma's and forsters lead by creating a break wall to the mouth of the lake.

Get the tide flowing properly in the lake again..

My 5 cents worth.....

Fisheries stated today that the fish have been discovered to have lesions on their gills, which is basically suffocating them. Apparently there is a direct link to water quality. Authorities are still very concerned that people are collecting them for consumption and strongly advise against it. More to follow ...

Authorities are still very concerned that people are collecting them for consumption and strongly advise against it.

I can't beleive people would do that, they may as well start eating out of the garbage while they're at it.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Any further news on what actually caused this in the first place ?

20 years Ive been fishing the lake, can't belive they have let it go to this,,,

Ill be going down this week for a outside comp Ill see what i can find out from the locals,,

Dogbox

Edited by dogbox

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what a shame. is it safe to eat fish from the lake if I'm able to catch anything decent??

Wonder how long it will take for it to recover...

I Believe so..

Launched my new boat yesterday in the lake, saw a fellow with half a dozen flaties to 40cm and a big Girl which would have been aroun 80 - 90cm..

There are plenty of black fish in the lake.. With the amount of floats in the water chasing them on a daily basis, they have become very timid

I Believe so..

Launched my new boat yesterday in the lake, saw a fellow with half a dozen flaties to 40cm and a big Girl which would have been aroun 80 - 90cm..

There are plenty of black fish in the lake.. With the amount of floats in the water chasing them on a daily basis, they have become very timid

Hey charlie, if you see me out on the lake pull up and say gidday. 'Alfa Rosa' is the boat name.