Trout Fishing - Blue Mountains?

aeb870

Hi Raiders,

With work backing off a bit, I have finally started to fish again. Normally I would join my brother for trout fishing down in Victoria every time I visit, but I am sure there are places out of Sydney 2-3 hours away.

I know the rivers are now closed, but I am sure there is dams or lakes around. I don't want any secret spots, just general locations and I really don't mind the travel, and my wife wants to join as she loves being outdoors.

Any tips on locations would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by aeb870

As you say, rivers are generally closed but lakes are generally open. You could try Lakes Lyle, Wallace, Oberon or Thompsons Creek Dam. Wrap up warm.

The one exception is the lower reaches of the Coxs, Jenolan, Kowmung Rivers. A fair bit of walking involved. They get good but patchy spawning runs later in winter. Apparently fisheries allows these to remain open because the fish are coming from prohibited-access lakes and so would otherwise be a wasted resource. I've had some very productive days in these areas when I've lucked onto a spawning run.

The Jenolan seemed to be the most consistent but seemed to have the smallest fish and most were pretty beat by the time they get into the river.

I've caught spawning fish in these areas as early as June, but most of the best fishing is Aug or Sept.

I think the Wollondilly will be open too, and doesnt involve the long walk - but consequently suffers from being too accessible.

I just went up to Lake Lyell last weekend. Not a trout fisherman, but I gave it a go. As expected, no success, on bait, spoons, spinners and the like.

But apparently, its not going too bad out there at the moment, but I guess I have no real will at it.

there are a few fishing moving around up the back of lyell at present, bit of algae bloom there too, but they shouldn't matter fish the deep holes during the day and closer to where the river runs in at first or last light

feisty little fish (20cm) in the small dam below TDC, eating dry flies a couple of weekends back, TDc is how you find it , perfect one day -- ghost town the next !

cheers

gm

As you say, rivers are generally closed but lakes are generally open. You could try Lakes Lyle, Wallace, Oberon or Thompsons Creek Dam. Wrap up warm.

The one exception is the lower reaches of the Coxs, Jenolan, Kowmung Rivers. A fair bit of walking involved. They get good but patchy spawning runs later in winter. Apparently fisheries allows these to remain open because the fish are coming from prohibited-access lakes and so would otherwise be a wasted resource. I've had some very productive days in these areas when I've lucked onto a spawning run.

The Jenolan seemed to be the most consistent but seemed to have the smallest fish and most were pretty beat by the time they get into the river.

I've caught spawning fish in these areas as early as June, but most of the best fishing is Aug or Sept.

I think the Wollondilly will be open too, and doesnt involve the long walk - but consequently suffers from being too accessible.

Thanks Volitan, a wealth of information there as you basically listed most trout locations in the vicinity. I have googled them all for a bit of research and with my brother coming up for a couple of days in late July we are looking forward to giving it a shot. Might start off with Thompsons Creek Dam, seems very interesting.

I am assuming that the more into winter I leave it, the better the fish will be as trout will venture further up to the surface and the edges of the lake?

I just went up to Lake Lyell last weekend. Not a trout fisherman, but I gave it a go. As expected, no success, on bait, spoons, spinners and the like.

But apparently, its not going too bad out there at the moment, but I guess I have no real will at it.

there are a few fishing moving around up the back of lyell at present, bit of algae bloom there too, but they shouldn't matter fish the deep holes during the day and closer to where the river runs in at first or last light

feisty little fish (20cm) in the small dam below TDC, eating dry flies a couple of weekends back, TDc is how you find it , perfect one day -- ghost town the next !

cheers

gm

Thanks guys for the updates, hoping the fishing picks up a bit more as we venture into winter.

• 2 months later...

I had all these plans to visit the Thompson Creek Dam but ended up under estimating the efforts required for a new born, nevertheless very exciting stuff!!

With things now settling, I was wondering if I have missed the time of the year for trout fishing that area? I am not an expert in fresh water fishing but I was planning to head up on Sunday for an afternoon fish. Has the weather already warmed up that I have missed my chance or is it still cool enough to chase them? Are afternoons any good or are mornings better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Always wondered if there were trout in the little dam below tcd, will have to give it a go on the way back down to the car next time I'm up there.

About time for another visit now I'm thinking about it.....